340 with 35 degree at 600 idel and 200psi compression

-

cudaman67

Reaction score
I am lost. I redid my 340 with a 474 280280 mopar cam 40 over trw pistons dual plane intake and a 600 double pump holley heads are not ported but are 4 angle ,.500 stainless steel valves , heads shaved 10,000 my compression is 200 psi and my timing is 35 degree at 600 rpm. HELP I can't turn down the timing without the engine dieing is the 200 compression the problem? At idle 600 rpm the timing is 35 degree. Gears are right. Gil

gears are right?

was cam degreed in?

I agree with 70aarcuda. Was the cam degreed when installed? After eyeballing the timing set on the last engine that I built, I found TDC and degreed the intake centerline and come to find out I was about 10 degrees advanced. Easy thing to take advantage of and overlook.

is your vacuum advance hooked to ported or manifold vacuum? It should be ported vacuum...or better yet, make sure its disconnected when you're setting the timing. Because you could loose tons of advance the second you move the distributor if you're on manifold vacuum. you should be able to keep it revved up a little (1000 or so) and set the timing there to 10-15 degrees BTDC. It should run fine there.

otherwise, your cam timing may be off!

Are using a stock damper? If it is the outer ring may have slipped in relation to the inner hub. After 40 or so years the rubber can and does break down.

Find true TDC via #1 cyl, without looking at the damper. simple yes/no and you know the problem, and the fix.
use PORTED vacuun only for dist. timing
Once that is set, I'd go for 850-900 rpm initial, with your cam profile!

-
Back