340 X Heads in trouble

-
A guy from work has a newer camero with a very built up ls engine. His head builder ported some new aluminum heads, without my friend knowing ported too far and entered a coolant jacket. Years later (and after the head builder was no longer in business) it cracked and hydro-locked the motor. My x heads have epoxy on them and reading this makes me a little more easy-going. Thank you.

Okay, I believed I jumped to a conclusion about the X heads too soon. While talking to the builder on the phone I was given the impression that the ports were ALL cut into the pushrod holes. This is not the case. I went to actually see the heads. ONE port is cut too far. Other than that, the intake threads are torn up, no big deal. I will say he had no intention of misleading me, I simply misunderstood what he was telling me. So I emailed him the pics from cudafever, that looks like it will do just fine for fixing one hole. I need to choose a cam now. I'll start a new thread for that. Thank you all for your help!:D

Attachments

• port with hole.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 236
Epoxy a brass tube in there and port that puppy until the wall turns color, you know you are close!

All of the intake ports on my ported eddy heads have tubes in the intakes for the pushrod holes. Engine runs great. Didn't get flow numbers though as the speed shop's head guy didn't show up for work when I took them in to get checked.

I would estimate that the port wall is cut into the pushrod tube hole about as much as the thickness of the tube.

i fixed a set of 308 heads with epoxy 15 years ago and there still going strong good luck

Yeah, not too worried now. Waiting for a quote on 1.6 rollers to go with the build. Should know in a week or so. Hope to have it back together soon.
Thanks.

Hey Gerard, just to put your mind at ease, I spoke w/ Dan just a week after you bought the Dart and he mentioned NOTHING about the engine/crank issues at all. Infact, he said it was running great after Phil did the trans and tuned the carb a little. He then proceeded to tell me I was about a week late inquiring about it being for sale! I was bummed out...but I'm thrilled to be living vicariously through you! Haha...

...back to the heads tho. How they coming? Engine coming together yet?

Those X-heads I bought off a member here actually. I swapped them on myself. He ported them and went a little too far as detailed above, he patched 'em up as you saw them and I (and Dan) ran 'em on the car since 2008! So just validating some comments above re. epoxy holding up on repairs!

The Heads are doing just fine. They were repaired with a piece of brass similar to the copper repair. The only odd thing about them is the cc's ( 76 )

Got a set of Hughes 1.6 roller arms ordered and Comp beehive springs.

I don't fault Dan at all, he most likely knew nothing was wrong seeing as he got right up on the gas when he took me for a test ride. After I started driving it a few times I suspected a problem and looked under the hood before I romped on it too much. It could have ended much worse.

416 stroker is the final plan now and I should have it back in a few more weeks.

Most people would **** if they saw how much epoxy is used in race heads...stuff will not come apart or unbond from the material. I'd never worry about using epoxy at all..its easier to grind on than metal also. :)

Most people would **** if they saw how much epoxy is used in race heads...stuff will not come apart or unbond from the material. I'd never worry about using epoxy at all..its easier to grind on than metal also. :)

Just wanted to add a couple note to this statment.

IF you sand and clean it properly before installing, AND us the right epoxy!
It will work good.

This is not your normal 2 part epoxy that you buy from a local parts store.

It's called by many names but i call it "Z-Spar." It will work on iron or alu, on intake side, ONLY!

-
Back