340 x or j heads

-

jnm

Reaction score
the 340 i have is still not sold some how it got labeled sold.my question is where on the head does it say if it's a x or j head.?

the 340 i have is still not sold some how it got labeled sold.

The tool bar up top each thread labeled "Thread Tools", click it, a menu pops down, click the box that applies.

No worries I did it for you.

Rite next to the spark plugs cant miss it. If the heads are 587s they may or may not have a J by the spark plugs. I have a set of 587s off of a 72 340 that have a J cast on the underside but just what looks like II by the plugs. Why are you thinking only X or J? Could be O,U, or Zs as well depending on year and assembly plant (all 915 castings) only the early 340 came w/ the X (894 casting) 894s 68-70, 915s 70-72, 587s 72-73. Id start by checking next to the spark plugs.

Instead of worrying about the letter, just pull a valve cover off and get the casting number.

Some very early 894 heads didn't have an "X" by the plug hole.

IMO. If it has the letter why waste your time removing the cover to tell you what you already know, and take the chance of ruining valve cover gasket? If no letter then remove the covers and check casting #.

thanks for all the help but i just sold the motor i hate to do it but i am never going to use it .atleast it's going to a good home a guy in canada is rebuilding a cuda my favorite car...thank you guys very much.

Instead of worrying about the letter, just pull a valve cover off and get the casting number.

Some very early 894 heads didn't have an "X" by the plug hole.

This. Some of the J heads had no letter either.

the 340 is not sold the guy backed out after waiting this long .the heads are j heads so if anyone wants to buy it im open to suggestions .

-
Back