-
on passender side...casting date on block...

heads..look for casting number under valve cover

Walk up and introduce yourself. If it looks at you smiles and says "Hi, I'm a 340" you will know.

I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Hey 1973dusterkid, Will need get down under the car or a mirror to spot these stampings. A flashlight helps too...

Driver's side.
IMG_4573.jpg

Passenger side indicates date

IMG_4550.jpg

This is the head type...in my case "J" heads. Like 70aarcuda noted, you'll need to pull a valve cover to spot the stamping #.

IMG_4535.jpg

Hope this helps,

Pat

You know , i wonder some times. If you are on a Mopar site , you own a mopar , you drive it .If you do not know the little things , like where to find casting #,s, .A Chebby, or Phord guy could find these , on a MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know , i wonder some times. If you are on a Mopar site , you own a mopar , you drive it .If you do not know the little things , like where to find casting #,s, .A Chebby, or Phord guy could find these , on a MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well if you dont want to help dont post on my threads simple

He's a young gun and learning. When I was a young kid I didn't know where to look either until someone taught me.

We all neded a helping hand every now and then.
No one was born with knowing what or where casting numbers were.

I guess one person was :-\" #-o

1973dusterkid we have alot of great guys here with an awesome combined knowledge base so don't ever be afraid to ask ANY question. BTW I really like your comeback to the negative member :burnout:

My mother once told me a long time ago. If you don't have anything nice to say than sometimes it's better not to say anything at all!

Really- If you could take a friend that knows where the numbers are you would be much better off.Especially if you are looking for a specific engine-IE,date correct .Do yourself a favor and find someone that has no dog in the race.Finding out later that you don't have what you thought you had is not fun,and it dampens the build.

I for one dont mind any question,always try my best to give an honest answere. Why belittle a person over it?

And I believe the block is stamped just under the drivers side cylinder head at the front of the block as well as those cast in #'s on the side.

your going to look for casting numbers for the heads:

340 specific head castings
2531894 these are the X heads 68-9
3418915 These are J or U heads 70-2 these could be either 2.02 or 1.88 intake valves.
3671587 340/360 1973-74; 1976 small valve, hardened seats

last three digits of other small block heads.
051 318/360 1977-83
137 Magnum
140 Magnum R/T
308 Swirl 1989-93
596 318/360 1977-83
974 360 1975-76

Only stupid question, is the one you don't ask. If you're afraid to ask, how will you ever know.
Good luck with your purchase. By the way, my '72 motor, has a '71 date code on it. Built early in the model year. Steel crank, but lower compression than the '71.

-
Back