o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
put the dart on a dyno and the
360 made 329 hp and 340 ft lbs
the mopar 292 cam makes a little power if you ask me pretty happy with it
340x heads and a rpm airgap with 410 gears

Is this an engine dyno or chassis dyno?

Then again this post could have been a complaint on a crappy power output of a new engine.
AKA, What did I do wrong?

This combo could very well make good use of the heads ported.

I imagine most street SBMs could make use of ported heads.lol. When you think about it, the extra flow can be worth some cam, or some compression,or some cid, allowing for some different thinking.
For a DD who might be concerned with fuel-economy, the 292/509 is out. But without the duration, the fun factor suffers. So what's the answer? More cubes, or more compression. But compression is limited by the available gas, so that leaves cubes. But more cubes means a do-over, and not many can afford two engines, with one being a turd. So the other option is a good flowing set of engineered heads(expensive), or to have the current heads ported(a little less expensive).
With this kind of thinking(backwards for some,I know), A cam in the 220/230* range might satisfy the fuel economy target, while the heads make some fun-time power.
At least that was my thinking, when I was planning my combo.
And 329 to the wheels is fun.At least in the first couple of gears. With 4.10s, that might include third. But in third the speed thing can quickly become dangerous.And danger should trump fun. Unless.................

230* @ .050? Mileage? Use Rhoads lifters, and a overdriven trans.
Or a 218 @ .050 and well done heads & exhaust.

LMAO

More or less what I did. Started with a Hughes fast-rate 223/230, 11.2Scr,and double O/D. 1.97 final drive.

Later a Hughes fast-rate 230 went in. And I gave up the double O/D, trading away the 833od box for a 3.09/direct 4th box, but keeping the GV,and still with 3.55s.
Takes off like 4.10s, cruises like 2.77s.
I have 2 carbs; a fat 750DP for hammertime, and a lean 600Vsec. for touring.

The fast-rates are small on the advertised, making Dcr easy to get, and rhoads optional.My cam sounds very tame, compared to other combos with smaller cams, yet pulled 93 in the 1/8, the very first successful run. I am no longer concerned with gas mileage, but with the 600 tuned lean, it's still pretty good.Our Canadian gallons are bigger than yours, tho. So if I told you I was getting 30mpg, you might have a heart attack, or chalk me up as a liar. But on good days it does high teens US, and occasionally breaks into the 20sUS. Course I can lean that 600 out to get much better numbers, for straight hiway use.Which I have occasionally done. The 223 cam easily broke into the 30s US.But then it was idling down the road with a 1.97 final drive.
As a side note, that Chrysler 292/509 drank gas,bigtime. I didn't run it very long.

and since we all know that combo should be over 400crank
But I wasn't gonna stir the pot. I wanna stay on Rusty's good side.
has to be chassis dyno , my small cam is making more than that .

yep that was at the rear wheels and yep its fun in all the gears
its also fun at the track best et 11.92 at 113
I ported the heads a hundred years ago I does have a little compression
kb191 pistons and a set of 1.6 rockers

yep that was at the rear wheels and yep its fun in all the gears
its also fun at the track best et 11.92 at 113
I ported the heads a hundred years ago I does have a little compression
kb191 pistons and a set of 1.6 rockers

Nice! The old school set up getting it done. I have an old MP solid cam in my dart, 238 @ 50 about .480 lift after lash. I might try the 509/292 or stay solid and try the old 557/296.

all my chibby buddies think it is some trick engine build I really don't give them a lot of details but the old school setup works good

My first car, in 1987, was a 69 Dart Swinger 340 4 speed with that cam, torker 2 intake, headers and 391 rear gears, it really started to pull about 3500 rpm. I lost count the number of 5.0 mustangs that saw the tail lights of that car.

View attachment swinger.jpg

put the dart on a dyno and the
360 made 329 hp and 340 ft lbs
the mopar 292 cam makes a little power if you ask me pretty happy with it
340x heads and a rpm airgap with 410 gears

Nice rwhp numbers..

More or less what I did. Started with a Hughes fast-rate 223/230, 11.2Scr,and double O/D. 1.97 final drive.

Later a Hughes fast-rate 230 went in. And I gave up the double O/D, trading away the 833od box for a 3.09/direct 4th box, but keeping the GV,and still with 3.55s.
Takes off like 4.10s, cruises like 2.77s.
I have 2 carbs; a fat 750DP for hammertime, and a lean 600Vsec. for touring.

The fast-rates are small on the advertised, making Dcr easy to get, and rhoads optional.My cam sounds very tame, compared to other combos with smaller cams, yet pulled 93 in the 1/8, the very first successful run. I am no longer concerned with gas mileage, but with the 600 tuned lean, it's still pretty good.Our Canadian gallons are bigger than yours, tho. So if I told you I was getting 30mpg, you might have a heart attack, or chalk me up as a liar. But on good days it does high teens US, and occasionally breaks into the 20sUS. Course I can lean that 600 out to get much better numbers, for straight hiway use.Which I have occasionally done. The 223 cam easily broke into the 30s US.But then it was idling down the road with a 1.97 final drive.
As a side note, that Chrysler 292/509 drank gas,bigtime. I didn't run it very long.
Best combo I've seen/owned... 360 worked J heads,small quick action 223/[email protected]/112 lobe center hyd. Low -mid 20's mpg,with 3:55's .Would run 12.80's street trim,no other changes.( stock rering 360 short block,fun combo...)

hoping my next one is my best combo 408 with alittle help from 0u812 his heads and cam selection

-
Back