340x vs. Edelbrock aluminum heads.

-
Jim.Thompson said:
Which one is better, 340 X heads or Edelbrock aluminum?

Nothing special about X heads they are the same as all 340/360 heads (until the magnum head) with the exception of the bigger intake valve.

The Edelbrock head will flow as much out of the box as a ported X head.

If you are going to stay with the stock cam it wouldn't be worth the money to use the eddy heads, I would stay with the X heads.

Chuck

You can port the X heads father than OOTB Edel. heads, but the intended useage may very well say, save your money. A mild bowl porting on set in a full weight A body can go 12's.

A few fellas, a few years back were coupling up the MP shortblock (10-1 version w the 292 cam) and a Edel. RPM intake and heads w/750 cfm carb, headers and 391/410's and running low 12's.

Bowl ported X heads and new valves Vs. OOTB Edel. heads are about a equal price and payoff. If the engine is a lower comprewsion engine, the Edel. heads will lose power due to being Aluminum and there acco. heat lose with the aluminum.

I have a set of Edel.'s and there good.

A few fellas, a few years back were coupling up the MP shortblock (10-1 version w the 292 cam) and a Edel. RPM intake and heads w/750 cfm carb, headers and 391/410's and running low 12's.

thats what i'm running except its the 9 1/2 to one short block,6077 eddy heads , performer rpm intake and proform 750 dp. with a 904 and 3:91 gear.. and a 26x9.5 tire i have been a best of 12.17.

wITH HIGHER COMPRESSION THE EDDYS WILL OFFER MORE RESISTANCE TO DETONATION ON PUMP GAS 10 TO 1 OR HIGHER

had a set of self ported j heads and air gap intake, then switched to a set of stage 1 eddys from hensley and a victor 340 intake nothing else changed. car slowed down .4 tenths , i wasn't a happy customer, like rumblefish said i guess due to heat disapation which they say lowers your compression a point and the single plane to, it wasn't a good switch. after i then ordered a custom grind cam, 4.10 to replace the 3.55, cal.trac setup, and a smaller 750 carb, i was back to where i started. not at all happy with the turn of events and all the money wasted, i couldn't afford to ditch the head and intake combo. after paying off all the modifications i called hughes engines and told dave what had happened. he said they were very careful who they sold there stage ones to because a good ported iron head wood out perform them. after a longer conversation he said he would make them work out for the going faster direction. then the heads and intake went to hughes for the stage 3 porting and matching the intake. got it back, they done a super job, after working the bugs out picked up 3 tenths. now were in the right direction. yea the stage 3's were a little much for my combo but i had bigger plans for the future and didn't want to spend any more getting anything else done to them. motor is 340 bored 30 9.7 comp before disapation 540-549 lift solid, eddy heads and intake, nothing radical but pure streetable and full wieght 74 duster, just run a new best at 7.27 and 94.27 on motor this weekend, the ported heads and intake love nitrious to, havent tried on the track yet this year just testing on the highway a little. i know alot of rambling but anyone looking at a dicision i already made i just like to tell them my story . its all in the combination the right combo will outrun money and a bad combo anyday, the x or j heads have alot of potential and work great, now that i have the bugs worked out of mine they work great to. it depends on what you want and the $ you want to spend, in my case alot of money costed a lot more to make the combo half way right, can't afford more compression yet just got the other paid off. anyhow i hope this may have helped some good luck :thumbup:

With aluminum heads you actually have to run a point higher of compression just to equal the power of a set of iron heads,they are less efficient due to shedding heat quicker.Its also very hard to beat the price and power output of a good set of stock heads,when bowl ported and with quality work they come in cheaper than a set of aluminums.In my opinion unless you have a big budget or want to go faster than twelves in a street car x heads would be a great way to go.

Haveing a bad posting day me thinks..........read on below. :sleepy3: :thumbup:

daredevil said:
wITH HIGHER COMPRESSION THE EDDYS WILL OFFER MORE RESISTANCE TO DETONATION ON PUMP GAS 10 TO 1 OR HIGHER
I ran a 360 with the Edel. heads and a KB107+.030. The zero deck piston and a .039 Felp_Pro gasket made for a good squeeze and the closed chambered head added a very good quenched area. I don not remember where I layed the inital timing, but it did run on 93 octane without a problem. It didn't like the open chambered J's as much.

With this set up, the Edel. heads worked better. (Also flowed better) The stock port iron 2.02 J head did run well, but timing and fuel had to be just so. No "Joe Cheapo's 93 octane on sale" Fuel.

abodyjoe said:
thats what i'm running except its the 9 1/2 to one short block,6077 eddy heads , performer rpm intake and proform 750 dp. with a 904 and 3:91 gear.. and a 26x9.5 tire i have been a best of 12.17.

My exper. with the shortblock was poor machine work and you were better off with the 9.5-1 since mine had an ill machined deck where the pistons went from cylinder #1 @ .010 positive deck and as the pistons on that bank went back ending at #7 @ .012 positive.

Edelbrocks closed chambered heads will not like that pistons slapping the $h!t out of them. Believe it or not, I used a Fel-Pro gasket @ .54 on one side and a .039 on the passenger side. Passenger side was a perfect zero deck across the bank.

Both engines were in my '73 Cuda 4spd w/4.10's. Carter 750 cfm RPM air-gap and Super Comps by hooker ending in 2-1/2 H piped exhaust. The first engine described ran a verity of cams, but not the 292/.509 purple and I did n't have the J's on the MP shortblock.
(Weird huh? I got all this stuff and never made it through the possible combos.)

maybe i got lucky then... its been in the car for a few years and many street miles with no issues.. that 12.17 was don with 93 octane.. there are a few other guys in my area that were running the same short block without any issues...

Well, they didn't drop the bomb (garbage) in Berlin, just in Amityville for more horror.
I also know a few guys running the create short blocks for a while now. Don't know about the higher 10-1 versions though.
Was your shortblock a non-Magnum roller?

Jim T, I'd look for power elsewhere besides the heads. A 340 cammed engine in a 4spd is a nice set up. More power after bowl porting X heads is in the cam and intake and exhaust.
Depending on how you want to have it look, stock or not can help dictate what you do. F.A.S.T. cars have a great stealth look and secret cams. Run like hell.

rumblefish360 said:
Well, they didn't drop the bomb (garbage) in Berlin, just in Amityville for more horror.
I also know a few guys running the create short blocks for a while now. Don't know about the higher 10-1 versions though.
Was your shortblock a non-Magnum roller?

mines the pre magnum....

I recently gathered what I consider reliable flow information from reputable sources on 15 Mopar Cylinder heads.

We then had an independant company wih a good flow bench test our new FBO/EQ Magnum head right out of the box and our new CnC ported FBO/EQ Head.

I'm not ready to release the full data and ranking of head flow at .500-.550 (which is where most of you guys are likely to run your cams at)

I will tell you that the W-2 Head was the best, Eddy "Ready to Run" (Now there's joke for Leno) ranked 8th. The FBO/EQ out of the box was 9th and only 4 CFM behind the Eddy and did it with a 1.94 valve. Considering the price tag of $439.00 as compared to a SET of the Eddy's that's one hell of a deal and of course the Magnums are designed to run 100,000+ miles, try and get that kind of reliability out of an Eddy.

The CnC Ported FBO/EQ Magnums with the As Cast LA Intake Bolt pattern (not a Re-Drill) tied for 2nd with the Fully Ported Race Ready 915J 2.02 valve heads as noted in a very good tech article posted over on Moparts. Still with only a 1.94 valve.

The full report will be published soon by EQ Advertising and Product Development staff. I'll put up a link as soon as it's published.

My exper. with the shortblock was poor machine work and you were better off with the 9.5-1 since mine had an ill machined deck where the pistons went from cylinder #1 @ .010 positive deck and as the pistons on that bank went back ending at #7 @ .012 positive.

Edelbrocks closed chambered heads will not like that pistons slapping the $h!t out of them. Believe it or not, I used a Fel-Pro gasket @ .54 on one side and a .039 on the passenger side. Passenger side was a perfect zero deck across the bank.

First, I'm not picking on anyone in particular here but unless you've tried it how would you know? I run my .011" out of the hole piston short block with the .039 FelPro gasket and small chamber W5 heads milled .050. Yes that's right, .028" of piston to head clearance and I twist it to 7500. Standard wisdom will tell you .025 is doable with steel rods. You'd probably cringe at my piston to valve figures too.

Either way, every one saying they'd rather run X heads than aluminum heads is most likely saying so because they've never had aluminum heads. There is better flow out of the box with aluminum and the potential for more is much greater than any cast iron head. Not to mention the weight savings alone. I was an aluminum head naysayer until I finally bit the bullet and bought a pair. I should have done it years ago. I'll never go back.

As for that point of compression, I dare anybody to prove it.

Hey DOn! Long time no see. Glad to see your still looking around at stuff and finding out whats what with things.
If you get a chance, paste and copy/lik to the write up on the heads if you will.
Considering the price tag of $439.00 as compared to a SET of the Eddy's
$439 per head right? $878 per pair then, correct? $370+ in savings.
Cost of remain parts to complete the deal?

-
Back