3500W generator I picked up

-
^ This is the way to go, if you can't install a mechanical lockout on your HOUSE panel. I know you fix aircraft, and are used to strictly following procedures....but an interlock will take any room for error away. It sounds like you may not be able to use one in your situation. I've worked for the power company for 44 years, and seen more than one instance where someone got all excited about the power being back on, and goofed up their disconnect of the generator before flipping the main back on. A guy that lives on Michigan Street in Tulsa, OK did that....and you wouldn't believe the fireball that came out of his garage. Flash burnt his eyes when his breaker box exploded, and started a brush fire behind his and his neighbors house when the fault current he created burnt down the open wire secondary we had just put up to get the power back on. That was after the power had been out for a week because of the ice storm that hit right before Christmas of 2007. Please just be careful. I don't want you to get hurt.
That's kind of you!! I think you have me mistaken for someone else...I work in the auto industry. I should have stated that my instruction sheet also includes the reverse procedures (step-by-step) when the power comes back on. But even then, the very last step, in big bold letters, and after everything else is done (including generator cool-down idle period), is the generator MUST be off and disconnected from the house before the main is turned on. That is my blanket insurance policy to prevent any issues.

steve welder I decided to just run a 25' long 30A cord in thru the dog door and power up my heat, microwave, and some lights.
Your welcome

this is the style i use on mine

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geninterlock.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F04%2Fsd100_qo_i_lg.jpg

the generator "backfeeds" through the breaker and it is impossible to have both the main and the generator breaker on at the same time

i pulled a permit for it and had a city inspector sign off on it once it was done, so i KNOW im not gonna hurt anyone trying to get power back on to me

-
Back