354 HEMI '65 Valiant

-

65Valiant

Reaction score
Hey there A-body guys,
My name is Brian, me and my Dad Gordy, have been working on my Pro-street '65 Valiant for the last 4 yrs. We back-halved the little A-body utilizing a 9" F***, sub-frame connecters, six-point roll bar, disc-brake set-up off a '74 Dart up front, 70's style Cragar Super Tricks at all four corners wrapped with 31.5 x 18.5 Mickey Thompsons out back, and last of all an early HEMI out of a 1956 New Yorker. It was originally a SL6 car when we started all the work we did ourselves, most recently completing the engine install this last winter/spring while maintaining the stock front end suspension and inner fenders. Though the car is still in primer and unfinished I have logged about 800 miles since getting road worthy. Here are a couple links to some recent photos of the car this summer at the Chicagoland Mopar car show in Belvidere, IL, this was our first time out with the car. At this we had not had the time to fit the hood yet, but hey check it out and let us know what you think. Thanks Brian & Gordy

http://www.chicagolandmopar.com/photos/MoparHappening2005/slides/DCP_0923.html

http://www.chicagolandmopar.com/photos/MoparHappening2005/slides/DCP_0853.html

pretty sweet! I`m been doing some thinking of Prostreeting my 64 Valiant.Looks wicked

Very cool. Not a common thing, and well executed. Nice job to both of you.

WOW!! I bet that took some head scratchin' and beer drinkin'!! Beautifully done. I have a 360 in my original 273 equipped 66, and trying to get anything but the original exhaust manifolds to fit is a real bear. What did you use for exhaust on that monster? Good thing the plugs are up in the valve covers. :) Oh, and welcome to the best "A" Body site on the net.

Sid

Thanks guys,
We did use the stock exhaust manifolds(ported) and then custom welded 2 1/4" pipe into 2 1/2" bullet mufflers. The motor is an 80,000 mi. stocker with good oil pressure and compression. The only stuff we did to the HEMI was pressure 40 years of oil grime off, water pump(BBC via adapters), a new timing chain, and an oil pump. Then off course we installed new gaskets and painted it, we plan on rebuilding it with'in the next year with a mild cam to keep it streetable while running pump gas. Here again I know the lil' HEMI Valiant is not done yet, but I have been having a great driving it to drag strip to spectate(Dad races a Studebaker), car shows, and local cruise nights. Again thanks for the positive comments and questions keep them coming.
Thanks Brian & Gordy

We used the stock SL6 K-frame, we made are own mounts from the original HEMI motor mounts and they are bolted to a couple of flat mounting pads we welded to the k-frame. The motor is mounted solid up front with a thin layer of rubber between the motor mounts and the mounting pads. We are using a rubber mount for the TH350 trans, that we adapted with an adapter from HOT HEADS. We also purchased from HOT HEADS an oil filter adapter for the later spin on style, an adpater for a BBC water pump, and also a complete gasket set. They are one of the best sources for products and information on early HEMIs. Thanks again all for the positive feedback we appreciate it, Brian & Gordy

-
Back