360/380 Crate Motor

-

67DARTGTCONV

Reaction score
Hello,

Who has a 360/380 crate motor?

How does it run and have you added anything to it?

Can it run on regular fuel?

What size of carb are you using?

Also indicate if you are using a automatic.

I am very close to purchasing one for a street only car with an automatic.

Any info will be helpful.

THanks

i have the other crate... the small one - the only difference is the intake and camshaft... it is suggested both engines run on 91 octane. carb suggestion is for a 750cfm. I am (was) running an automatic... very nice street motor - i never had many problems with it

NICE CAR!

Thanks for the response. Were you running a 750 vac secondary?

actually i went with a 600cfm just because i had one laying around (plus it was my daily driver) --- it was an edelbrock with mechanical secondaries.... i know the 380 crate does not make too much vacumme at idle ---- i have the paperwork here somewhere... ill type it up for ya...

"The 380/395 HP 360 Magnum Crate engine (P5249499/P5007646) - Holley #3310-750 cfm carbureator (P4349228 ) jetted as follows:
Driver side Passenger Side
Front 70 70
Rear 80 80"

Transmission

"Flywheels - Manual Transmissions
10.5" Diamiter (P5249842)

Torque Convertors - Automatic Transmissions
for use with A727, or A518 (P4876870)
for use with A904, A998, A999 (4876805)

Note - the two convertors listed above are 145K units. there are also 166K units available for added acceleration performance. These converters will require external balance package P5249843. "

Hope this helps :supz:

Did you just drop the motor in and fire it up or did you first tear it down to make sure everything was built properly?

I've heard some talk about how they didn't trust the crate motors and chose to tear them down first for inspection.

Personally, I don't think that's necessary...but hey, I'm an amateur.

-Jeff

Jeff,

After some research it seems the 360/300 or 380 crates are okay. The problems seem to be with the larger motors???

I wonder how lumpy that 380Hp cam is?

FYI, I called Mopar Performance today (888-528-HEMI) and they tell me they no longer make the 380HP motor. They have a 320HP, 390HP #P4510851 and 395HP #P5007646. Some sites still list them and my have one on the shelf.

I'm considering the 390 or maybe even just one of their shortblocks so I can build the top end the way I want.

-Jeff

i dropped the engine right in and ran it - no problems... the 380HP is no longer available... the 390HP uses the same camshaft though and it is a rather rough idle...

I believe the change in part numbers and the increase in power is due to the new crate motors coming with magnum R/T heads inplace of the standard magnum head previously used.

I don't think the crate engines are anything special. Sure, nice engine if you don't want to do any building yourself, but it's easy to reproduce it with any magnum based engine. This is worth a watch.

I don't think the crate engines are anything special. Sure, nice engine if you don't want to do any building yourself, but it's easy to reproduce it with any magnum based engine. This is worth a watch.

again same motor the 4th test
tuned carb and timming for the headers 10 hp is all it made on a stock pos 291 hp engine
thats about the 8th test ive seen getting 10 hp
yada yada its not tuned they dont know what they are doing
when you know you know
great video

Well it was cool to see how much they made with the cam upgrade.

I wouldn't run a single plane intake on a mild engine like the magnum 380.

-
Back