360/380 hp crate motor RPM range

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
I have a 380 hp 360 wondering what max rpm these can take. All stock 750 dp 4 speed.

They peak at 5400 rpm probably not much point spinning past 6000 rpm.

I have a 380 hp 360 wondering what max rpm these can take. All stock 750 dp 4 speed.
MAx rpm and where max hp is are 2 different things. You can spin it to 6200.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how much power in rpm can be gain with ported heads. How much more would the ceiling be raised?

Last edited:
MAx rpm and where max hp is are 2 different things. You can spin it to 6200.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how much power in rpm can be gain with ported heads. How much more would the ceiling be raised?
A good question,Robert.... Are,you talking stock ported,heads,or ported E.Q. replacement heads...?

Next winter I hope to pull my motor and clean and paint the engine bay. At the same time pull the heads and add 2.02 and port the heads hope to pick 30-40 cfm.
Heads are probably not cracked only 5000 miles on the engine.

Hope to bump it up from the 400-420hp to 450-470 hp and move the peak 5800-6000 rpm.

A good question,Robert.... Are,you talking stock ported,heads,or ported E.Q. replacement heads...?
All the above.
No matter what head is on top, the stock cfm of the head is the limiting factor. This, most of know. Now with anported head on top, stock, EQ or Edelbrock, it doesn't really matter because the engine doesn't care what head is on top but it is only responding to the flow ability of the head or what's delivered.

While one head will flow more low, less high, or what ever, just the increase of the (known) flow is what is of intrest. And how far we can go. Is there such thing as to much head flow? I guess that depends on the parts used and application it is involved in.

Where is that with this engine and camshaft? And where & what do we end up with?

I built my junkyard magnum 5.9 to basically clone the 380 HP crate engine. Mine ETs best shifting at 6,000 RPM.

-
Back