360 balancer seal

-

Seansmopar

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Forgive me it’s been awhile since I posted here but I do browse time to time. I have a question. Is it possible to use the 360 balancer seal (given in my gasket kit) in a 64 273 timing cover? I’m transitioning all the front components over (water pump, alternator and power steering components while the 360 is out of the car.) (For Note: I did remark the 360 balancer for the 273 timing tab). It appears by just placing it slightly in the recess of the cover it may work. Upside is I think the seal may sit just inside of the balancer wear groove which will work out good. Downside I’m thinking it may be difficult to get out some day in the future. Has anyone tried this? It appears the only difference is the outer part of the seal. By the way I searched this first and didn’t find any answers. Thanks! Sean

If it fits into the 273 cover with a slight interference fit like it's supposed to, and also fits the balancer....I see no reason it wouldn't work. It does go in from the inside, so it will be hard to change later on down the road. There are later model LA timing covers that the seal mounts from the outside, but using one would probably defeat the look of the 273 cover you have. I would be tempted to buy a new harmonic balancer to go in with it to prevent a leak if the seal hits the wear groove in the old balancer. You could use a Speedy sleeve on your old balancer, but those things are a ***** to install correctly.

You could get on Rockauto's site and look both seals up. That's what I would do to answer your question.

speedy seal to the rescue. All LA balancers were the same OD at the crank, neutral balanced or not.

-
Back