360 blocks -- All interchangable?

-

Jason Wenger

Reaction score
Assuming they haven't been overbored, are all 360 (non-magnum) blocks across all years interchangeable?

I see some commentary on a pre-74 block being preferable based on wall thickness... But there aren't any changes through the years that make parts incompatible, right? Date aside, are there any other considerations on what makes a good or bad 360 block? (other than cracks or obvious abuse etc)

Didnt main bearings change in mid 70's? Thought I saw that somewhere. maybe not block but just width?

Magnum block and early LA are generally different as magnums don't oil through the heads. Magnum blocks may or may not have the oiling passage.

There was a change in the thrust bearing size after 73......the latter bearing fits the earlier blocks ....but not the other way

The earlier LA blocks like I run will take an .060 over bore & combined with a 4" stroker crank Make big inch big HP for my bracket car.

.060...i got one that is 070......standard stroke cranks out 10.50s in a 71 dart in Vegas...lousy air.

I had one block that I took .070, it ran good but I've had much better luck with the .060 engines, And I have 3 more sets of .060 pistons.

Assuming they haven't been overbored, are all 360 (non-magnum) blocks across all years interchangeable?

I see some commentary on a pre-74 block being preferable based on wall thickness... But there aren't any changes through the years that make parts incompatible, right? Date aside, are there any other considerations on what makes a good or bad 360 block? (other than cracks or obvious abuse etc)
'88-'92 roller block LAs (pre-Magnum), inasmuch as the roller gear can't be retrofitted to the earlier blocks. And they do have some advantages in an aggressive build, since the lifter bore issue was addressed in these blocks (taller lifter bores), and the lifter's oil grooves won't uncover with higher lift roller cams.

early bearing fits in the late block late bearings will not fit early block without a trip to the line bore thrust fixer
late blocks are set up for hyd roller cams
what the professor worte after I wrote the above

-
Back