360 build recommendations

-

BubbaCuda

Reaction score
I am ready to rebuild my 360 that was pulled out of a 76 Cordoba.The motor will be going into my 65 . I need some advice for my Build.
It will need to run pump gas 91 octane and be able to run the factory a/c.. Also what upgrades should i do to my 904 while its out..Thanks for any input..

Being a street engine I'd use H116CP's and a XE274 cam or XE268 cam, a good valve job on the heads and a dual plane intake manifold, a 750 (3310) carb or equal, shorty hedders. This should give you all that you would need for the street.

I am ready to rebuild my 360 that was pulled out of a 76 Cordoba.The motor will be going into my 65 . I need some advice for my Build.
It will need to run pump gas 91 octane and be able to run the factory a/c.. Also what upgrades should i do to my 904 while its out..Thanks for any input..

Probably a decent convertor in the 2500 stall medium not tight range call turbo action and give them all you planning specs etc.

Best for the money I feel, yes there are better convertors but I think for the bucks this is a decent one to use. You may want a larger style flex plate and bolt kit too? Make sure you get an external balance unit since you run a 360!

On this inside I would call Cope racing, at minimum go with the better koleen clutch kit and I think a piston(s) and if need pressure plate for the 5 stack if you dont already have this in the forward and rear drums. also a 4.2 lever and a decent TF2 transgo kit is a good start. Also the solid 2nd gear bands are better too and maybe a HD sprag kit

Make sure all ther hard parts front pump etc are in good shape too if you are doing this yourself?

I need to to choose a cam and pistons and need your expert advice. This is what i have so far . 373 gears, 770 Holley street avenger and an RPM Air Gap intake. Do you think i should use the KB107 pistons? what will work better for me the Lunati voodoo cam 60403 Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 226/234;Lift IN/EX: .494"/.513";LSA / ICL: 110/106;RPM Range: 1800-6200 or voodoo 60404 Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 234/242;Lift IN/EX: .513"/.533";LSA / ICL: 110/106;RPM Range: 2200-6400

We have a 360 on the dyno right now, KB107, XE268H, LD340, J heads with mild clean up work, 750 holley, MSD.

IMHO, can't got wrong with a XE268, the 274 will require a bit more convertor. I'd run the smaller of the Voodoo lines.

It's all about your expectations. Know what you want the engine to do before spending a dollar on equipment. No goal = wasted time, money and effort.

Just for fun, I have a Comp 305H (252*at .050, .525)going into a car with AC... Go figure. LOL

Crackedback
What kind of horse power did you get on that 360 you have on the dyno? Also would you recommend the XE268 over voodoo cam 60403? I don't care about gas milage but i dont want to have put in octane boost with every fill up. I guess i just want to get the most out of the motor on pump gas..
Harold

If its the motor I think it is they made about 350hp and just under 400ft lbs

xe268 and xe274 are both good. the latter, as mentioned, needs a bit more converter. be sure to use a trans cooler as well. raybestos blue plate special clutches and steels, transgo shift kit. also use the b&m flexplate.

I need to to choose a cam and pistons and need your expert advice. This is what i have so far . 373 gears, 770 Holley street avenger and an RPM Air Gap intake. Do you think i should use the KB107 pistons? what will work better for me the Lunati voodoo cam 60403 Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 226/234;Lift IN/EX: .494"/.513";LSA / ICL: 110/106;RPM Range: 1800-6200 or voodoo 60404 Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 234/242;Lift IN/EX: .513"/.533";LSA / ICL: 110/106;RPM Range: 2200-6400

The KB107's are designed to be a zero deck piston. This leaves your comp. ratio @ 9.8-1 with the larger open chambered heads. It'll be a bit much for pump gas.

Ask BJR if the H116CP's from Fed-Mogual are any shorter. There also a nice piston with an additional anti scuff coating on the sides.

On cam choice, I would go for the smaller one. The heads will have to be worked on for rocker tip clearance and possible spring seat area. A bowl porting and good valves is all you would need to do for best results with the iron heads.

Everything else looks good. (Though I would rather long tube headers.)

The H116cp Sealed power pistons BJR mentioned are very close to the stock piston weight so if you use them it shouldn't need balancing but it's still not a bad idea. If you use the KB107 pistons you will have to balance the engine because they are much lighter than stock. The only concern I would have is if the heads are shaved any and the block is decked any your compression ratio will be up close to 10 to 1 (if not over) with either the C116cp or KB107 pistons which is pretty high for 91 octane fuel, especially if you run a smaller cam like the xe268 Comp or 60403 Lunati which develope more low end cyl pressure.

I have a 360 with the KB107's and X heads and a 60404 Lunati cam and have to run 93 octane with no more than 33 degrees of total timing for example.

If you want to be safe with 91 octane fuel go with Sealed power 405cp pistons that will put the compression at approx. 9 to 1 and run either the xe268 or 60403 cam and a converter in the low to mid 2000 stall range. In your light car it'll run like a banshee and still work good with AC. Just my .02

I have the H116CP's and a MPP 992 cam, Stock J heads, truck converter and run regular (87 octane) fuel without any problems.

I was thinking about using Al Hubbards of Hayward for the machine work . Does anyone have any experience with them?

just got a 390 4bbl in a 65 mercury marauder running and its great. cold oil psi is 80, hot is 65-70. smooth running. i liked the work. i'd have to go back and look at the work order to see what all i wanted them to do, since the block was not doing so well.

Redfastback
Have you had a chance to look over that work order for a parts list?
Also i found out i can get 100 octane fuel in San Jose. IM leaning toward the voodoo 60404 and the kb 107...
Harold

Crackedback
What kind of horse power did you get on that 360 you have on the dyno? Also would you recommend the XE268 over voodoo cam 60403? I don't care about gas milage but i dont want to have put in octane boost with every fill up. I guess i just want to get the most out of the motor on pump gas..
Harold

Harold,

Adam nailed it. It made right at 350hp and 400torque. Very flat curve on torque.

The comp ratio was about 9.5:1. Cranking pressure was right at 175-180, IIRC. You might run the bigger Voodoo to bleed off pressure if you aren't comfortable. This is a pump gas engine that will likely need to run on premium is my guess.

The J heads were the bottleneck on the engine. Have 1.94 valves in them and it really could have used some short turn work to increase flow. Pretty stockish style rebuild going in a Demon with a 2500 vert and 3.23 gears and shorter tires.

or you can do that build they did with the smog motor and the 262 cam were it made like 330hp or something i think at the flywheel

Should I invest in some x heads or 2.02 edelbrocks?are doyou think I be good with my j heads?i would liketo get 400hp out of the motor.
Harold

X heads really arent any better then J heads. If you want to upgrade Eddy RPMs would be the best way to go. Not needed for 400hp though.

X J O heads are basically all the same. Within a couple of CFM of each other. Without doing some porting to get them to flow better they will be the bottleneck. Ede's would be a nice upgrade, clean up the bowls and runners and you can boost compression a touch to make up for heat loss from aluminum.

With ede heads and a good tune, you may get right at 400hp with a XE268H. you'll have to cam it up a bit to get 400hp with stock iron heads and drivability will suffer a bit.

Just my thoughts.

I like this set up but notice how much work was done to the heads. They flow 260 cfm and are the 2.02 heads. It makes a lot of since far as "bottle necking" the flow. As mentioned previously above a motor will not much if it can't breath.

360 rebuilt with 10:1 compression flat top cast pistons, original crank turned .010"/.010", rebuilt factory rods. Factory windage tray installed. 2.02" heads with competition valve job and ported to flow 260 cfm. Edelbrock RPM intake, port/gasket matched. Holley H.P. 750 (.076" front, .080" rear jets). Large 1 3/4" primary tube headers. Comp Cams 305AH-8 camshaft with .525"/.540" lift and 305/312 degree advertised duration, 253/260 degrees @ .050", 110 lsa, installed at 108 intake centerline. This motor is a brute for a street car and would only be considered a weekend blaster.
495 h.p. @ 6,000 rpm
500 lbs. of torque @ 4,500 rpm

-
Back