360 cam choice

-
Oregon spec'd me out grind #1634. 218/224, 270/276, 110. Lift is 528/536. Heavy B body. I did use the Hughes 1110 springs and was able to reuse my old lifters and pushrods after checking. I run a 2400 stall 340 converter. Pulls pretty good but wish I went a little hotter.

I've always assumed a 3/4 race cam was around a 285 advertised duration and 1/2 race cam around 270..

see, it's all encompassing!

when people ask what cam i have in my motor, and it doesn't matter the motor, i just say 3/4 race cam.
...and they'll just laugh and never know that it's rooted in fact!

i'd keep it mellow. assuming that you're running a dual plane and stock-ish converter i'd be shooting for something low key and under .500 lift.

i kinda like this howards piece: DODGE Howards Cams 710931-12 Howards Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts | Summit Racing
it's basic 269/269 & 455/455 but it's got a 110 lobe, which is an acceptable compromise i suppose.

they make a big brother to that one which has 275/275 & 470/470 but with a tighter 108

personally i'd go for something split pattern like this: DODGE Howards Cams 710031-12 Howards Cams Street Force 2 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts | Summit Racing not a ton of lift, not a ton of duration but should work nice with the combo of a heavier car and lower compression motor.

obviously these are just some "off the shelf" suggestions, but if were in your shoes i'd be making a call to oregon to have them grind me up something custom or maybe one of their off the shelf grinds that's a little more suited to what you're looking for.

just a little fun
From that I understand street use. Magnum or LA heads?
I would consider keeping the duration down to 220° to 224° intake and 230°exh. 108°LSA. For lift you would do well to shoot for 0.500" to 0.525". Valve spring upgrade is required.
Another consideration would be increasing rocker ratio by .1. Rockers are good in that other than the rocker covers, no disassembly needs be done. This generally gives a bit of a torque boost for minimal cost. Valve springs can be changed in the car. I believe you have a spring installed height of about 1.800". This would allow use of Chevy beehive springs at reasonable cost. Need retainers and keepers to match.

From that I understand street use. Magnum or LA heads?
I would consider keeping the duration down to 220° to 224° intake and 230°exh. 108°LSA. For lift you would do well to shoot for 0.500" to 0.525". Valve spring upgrade is required.
Another consideration would be increasing rocker ratio by .1. Rockers are good in that other than the rocker covers, no disassembly needs be done. This generally gives a bit of a torque boost for minimal cost. Valve springs can be changed in the car. I believe you have a spring installed height of about 1.800". This would allow use of Chevy beehive springs at reasonable cost. Need retainers and keepers to match.
when heads were done springs were changed to take more lift ,this motor has factory roller lifters and a RV cam now tks for the input,,maybe just changing the rockers would work. happy holidays tks

Dad always called them 3/4 race or full race.

just a little fun
have 82 mirada low compession 360 89 truck roller cam motor car is auto, 370 rear gears,what cam would you pick to use?
You don't need a cam.
You need an A500HD overdrive with a higher stall convertor;
And maybe a lil more rear gear, but 3.7s with a 2.74 low gear is pretty close for having; "just a lil fun".
You can thank me later.

If you up-cam that 8/1 slug with no other changes, then
you are still gonna need a convertor, and
may still need more first gear, and
Second gear will be all wrong until 3500rpm, which in your case could be close to 50 mph.
Since yur gonna need these things anyway, you might as well start with that A500, and a stall depending on the chosen rear gear.
---------------------------------------
I guarantee you will never be sorry about the od trans, nor say, a 2800TC, nor say 4.10s plus/minus 5%.
But I can guarantee you, that a bigger cam with no other changes, is LIKELY to be disappointing. As soon as your engine shows a pressure loss, then at take-off, it will feel like a smaller engine; and this feeling will persist until nearing the torque-peak, but will be most missed below 3000>3500 rpm. In your case, with an A998(2.45low) and 225/75/15 (88")tires this is likely to be up close to 30 mph.
Is that what you call "having a lil fun?"
I didn't think so.
You need AT LEAST a 2800 in that car with a 360. Over a 2000/2200 stall, that is already a super improvement and cannot be matched by any other bolt-on, save for supercharging. I'm gonna guess at 2800 versus 2200, the power difference even with the stock cam, is around 30/35 hp. You'll have to up-cam at least two sizes to match that power increase at the power-peak, never mind off the starting line at 2200. Do you want that power increase off the line? sure you do, everybody does.
And we haven't even talked about 3.7x2.45= 9.065 versus 4.3 x 2.74= 11.78, an increase of 30 friggen percent. No street cam in any 8/1 NA360 can touch that; that is tire-frying territory.
If, after you have installed this A500/2800/4.30s, you still think you need a cam, then your idea of having "just a lil fun" and mine, are way out of alignment.

Jus saying

You don't need a cam.
You need an A500HD overdrive with a higher stall convertor;
And maybe a lil more rear gear, but 3.7s with a 2.74 low gear is pretty close for having; "just a lil fun".
You can thank me later.

If you up-cam that 8/1 slug with no other changes, then
you are still gonna need a convertor, and
may still need more first gear, and
Second gear will be all wrong until 3500rpm, which in your case could be close to 50 mph.
Since yur gonna need these things anyway, you might as well start with that A500, and a stall depending on the chosen rear gear.
---------------------------------------
I guarantee you will never be sorry about the od trans, nor say, a 2800TC, nor say 4.10s plus/minus 5%.
But I can guarantee you, that a bigger cam with no other changes, is LIKELY to be disappointing. As soon as your engine shows a pressure loss, then at take-off, it will feel like a smaller engine; and this feeling will persist until nearing the torque-peak, but will be most missed below 3000>3500 rpm. In your case, with an A998(2.45low) and 225/75/15 (88")tires this is likely to be up close to 30 mph.
Is that what you call "having a lil fun?"
I didn't think so.
You need AT LEAST a 2800 in that car with a 360. Over a 2000/2200 stall, that is already a super improvement and cannot be matched by any other bolt-on, save for supercharging. I'm gonna guess at 2800 versus 2200, the power difference even with the stock cam, is around 30/35 hp. You'll have to up-cam at least two sizes to match that power increase at the power-peak, never mind off the starting line at 2200. Do you want that power increase off the line? sure you do, everybody does.
And we haven't even talked about 3.7x2.45= 9.065 versus 4.3 x 2.74= 11.78, an increase of 30 friggen percent. No street cam in any 8/1 NA360 can touch that; that is tire-frying territory.
If, after you have installed this A500/2800/4.30s, you still think you need a cam, then your idea of having "just a lil fun" and mine, are way out of alignment.

Jus saying
had stroke so my ability to do this is not there car has 373 rear gears now with a low 1st in trans tks merry xmas

-
Back