360 cam upgrade (1973 low comp)

-

Litz

Reaction score
I ordered a comp cams kit # CL20-208-2 cam for my low mileage 1973 low compression 360 the cam has .425 lift and 252 dur. This is a small low RPM cam and my question is will the stock springs and retainers be adequate for this cam?

yep..... if the springs you have now are good
That cam is hardly bigger than a stock 360 2bbl cam

yep..... if the springs you have now are good
That cam is hardly bigger than a stock 360 2bbl cam
would it be possible to go a little bigger without having to replace the springs, and retainers? (Tight budget here)

I ordered a comp cams kit # CL20-208-2 cam for my low mileage 1973 low compression 360 the cam has .425 lift and 252 dur. This is a small low RPM cam and my question is will the stock springs and retainers be adequate for this cam?
I left out some much needed info. The car (65 Valiant) has an 8.75 rear with 4:10 gears. The trans is a full manual 904 with a 3500 rpm converter.

Yeah, I know. Got a great deal on the trans and converter a couple of weeks ago but for now I have to use what I have for now. Also Hooker 5208's and 600 Edelbrock carb. Stock 4bbl intake

You need a screamin' 273. Your 360 will run out of rpm before you get started. (3500 stall and 4:10 gear) You need a engine combo that produces power from like 3-7000 rpm. Put the comp cam in and see what happens. Those stock springs won't like much over 4000 rpm.

You need a screamin' 273. Your 360 will run out of rpm before you get started. (3500 stall and 4:10 gear) You need a engine combo that produces power from like 3-7000 rpm. Put the comp cam in and see what happens. Those stock springs won't like much over 4000 rpm.
Thanks for the input. Don't really want to pull the heads and have never changed valve springs with the heads on but I know it can be done fairly easily. And if I change springs will the stock retainers be OK? Spring recommendations?

Thanks for the input. Don't really want to pull the heads and have never changed valve springs with the heads on but I know it can be done fairly easily. And if I change springs will the stock retainers be OK? Spring recommendations?
Comp Cams #901's are probably recommended .

OMG! This is a very out of balance combo.
Step up in cam! At least to 236*@.050.
(240*@.050 or more would be better!)
The cost of retainers and locks are nothing ext to the cam and lifters. Even less than the springs. Stop cutting corners and pinching pennies. Spend the chump change on new retainers and locks!

When time and money allow for a new intake get it and don’t worry until then.

OMG! This is a very out of balance combo.
Step up in cam! At least to 236*@.050.
(240*@.050 or more would be better!)
The cost of retainers and locks are nothing ext to the cam and lifters. Even less than the springs. Stop cutting corners and pinching pennies. Spend the chump change on new retainers and locks!

When time and money allow for a new intake get it and don’t worry until then.
One of my questions was if I replace the springs should I replace the retainers. This is a low mileage engine with very little wear.

My idea and experience:
  • I've turned stock springs 5500 rpm's many times.
  • You need more cam with that converter and gears. I would look for a bigger cam, 230 duration @50, and around a .460 to .470 lift. One time I put a 280*(advertised)/.474 Mopar cam in a stock 318 and added a 4bbl. No issues with springs or too much lift. You loose lift with the stock rockers.
  • I would not run those gears, even if you up the cam some. I ran 4.30's behind a street 360, and then I changed out to 3.91's and the E.T. didnt' change at all. Nothing. I would go 3.23-3.55 gear.
  • I wouldn't run that converter with the engine you are doing. I would back down to even a stock 904 from a slant or 318. Just balance your flex plate.
  • You could sell the pieces you have and should have enough money to cover the cost of the changes.

My idea and experience:
  • I've turned stock springs 5500 rpm's many times.
  • You need more cam with that converter and gears. I would look for a bigger cam, 230 duration @50, and around a .460 to .470 lift. One time I put a 280*(advertised)/.474 Mopar cam in a stock 318 and added a 4bbl. No issues with springs or too much lift. You loose lift with the stock rockers.
  • I would not run those gears, even if you up the cam some. I ran 4.30's behind a street 360, and then I changed out to 3.91's and the E.T. didnt' change at all. Nothing. I would go 3.23-3.55 gear.
  • I wouldn't run that converter with the engine you are doing. I would back down to even a stock 904 from a slant or 318. Just balance your flex plate.
  • You could sell the pieces you have and should have enough money to cover the cost of the changes.
I'll keep the trans, and converter. I plan on doing a little more potent 360 later but for now I'm going to have to run what I have. I am however going to a little stronger cam than I posted earlier. This isn't a daily driver but more of a cruise night project for now. I have run 4:10's in big block B bodys in the past with no complaints but this being my first small block I'm learning a hell of a lot. Thanks for the info/advise.

Comp 901 springs, stock retainer will work.
Change the springs , heads on, compressed air in cylinders, piston at Tdc.

The convertor, take it out for new stock high stall unit, cost is next to nothing for one from a local trans shop...it will work pretty good if you do that...otherwise if you don't it'll be a full throttle pile that's cruising at an rpm thats half way through the torque curve, making heat for nothing...
Gears before convertor!

Whiplash cam. That's what they are designed for.

20 dollar factory 904 converter, and a 100 dollar 741 3.23 would work great for the cam he's has, and combo. Can always throw the gears back in along with the converter when he gets the right engine combo for 'em....
but each how they wish, I'm sure he'll have fun :)

20 dollar factory 904 converter, and a 100 dollar 741 3.23 would work great for the cam he's has, and combo. Can always throw the gears back in along with the converter when he gets the right engine combo for 'em....
but each how they wish, I'm sure he'll have fun :)
Yeah, I'm gonna have fun! lol I want to thank all you guys for your info/advice. However I don't need to be reminded that I'm going about this project *** backwards! LOL I have however changed my camshaft order to the Summit-K50062 >480 lift and 285 Dur. Now I'm probably gonna be told that it's too much cam for this low comp. 360. Probably true and now to drive everybody completely nuts last night I got a deal on an old (But like new) TM5 Edelbrock intake. Yeah, I'm on a budget. No, I'm not cheap. This is a fun hobby for me in my senior years. (I'm not out there to be the "fastest cat in the alley".) Just havin fun. And I truly appreciate all the input and advice that I get here and I want to thank all of you for that.

Yeah, I'm gonna have fun! lol I want to thank all you guys for your info/advice. However I don't need to be reminded that I'm going about this project *** backwards! LOL I have however changed my camshaft order to the Summit-K50062 >480 lift and 285 Dur. Now I'm probably gonna be told that it's too much cam for this low comp. 360. Probably true and now to drive everybody completely nuts last night I got a deal on an old (But like new) TM5 Edelbrock intake. Yeah, I'm on a budget. No, I'm not cheap. This is a fun hobby for me in my senior years. (I'm not out there to be the "fastest cat in the alley".) Just havin fun. And I truly appreciate all the input and advice that I get here and I want to thank all of you for that.
Keep us posted as you go along! Should be fun to follow :)

.480 lift might not go without checking retainer to guide clearance or coil bind. I've had to cut guides to go .470ish. Stock springs are like 70lbs on the seat and no where near what that cam needs at 5k rpm.

Last edited:
.480 lift might not go without checking retainer to guide clearance or coil bind. I've had to cut guides to go .470ish. Stock springs are like 70lbs on the seat and no where near what that cam needs at 5k rpm.
Yeah George, I'll check for coil bind and probably upgrade the springs. Actually I would like to find a set of non-smog heads but don't really know what to look for but I understand from my research that the heads that are on the engine (73 smog heads) are probably one of the worst choices and here in So. Cali. the junk yard don't' or very rarely have anything that old and craigslist isn't much help.

thought you just bought an intake, and now your advertising for one??? LOL...

Comp 901 springs, stock retainer will work.
Change the springs , heads on, compressed air in cylinders, piston at Tdc.

The convertor, take it out for new stock high stall unit, cost is next to nothing for one from a local trans shop...it will work pretty good if you do that...otherwise if you don't it'll be a full throttle pile that's cruising at an rpm thats half way through the torque curve, making heat for nothing...
Gears before convertor!
The car has 4:10 gears

-
Back