360 downgrading more street

-

silverex

Reaction score
Hi guys

I learn a lot in here, I also got a uncle who is a good talented mechanic who build engines weekly.but is always on minimal to achieve is hp goal, smallest carb,cam but it work.

Ibuy 3 year ago a 360 for almost nothing,seller claim that he have arias piston and purple cam, but nothing to prove it beside open up the engine,so last weekend was the tore down

-arias piston with 1.636 dome comp estimed aroud 12, no parts number on them beside arias and 4.0
-full balance rotating ,sqare and line bored
- j head non ported, double spring and titanium retainer
- purple shaft Duration 292/292, Lift .509/.509

here in canada best fuel at the pump is 94 octane, I want to run my dart on the street for small and longer run says 2 hrs drive and hit the track ( 15 min from home) for fun plans to have around 360 hp 380hp.

what your opinion about keeping this cam with head ported
planning to put some piston in it but my uncle says maybe having them fly cutted ? I think the arias piston sets will sell on the used market.

car 72 swinger 904 with stock torque for now ,mini tubbed and 8.75 and 3.23,upgrade to 3.91 this winter

thanks guys

They will be harder to sell, I would try to port the heads maybe go with some gaskets that are thicker like .055 compressed, and then go with a slightly larger cam, I think that one has 248 at .050 maybe something with about 256 at .050 and 108 LSA. I run 11.25 on 93 so you might be ok with 94 and a big cam.

The above sounds good. A good torque converter,can help immensely. A looser than stock converter,doesn't lock up completely at lower rpm's. This helps take the "load" ,off the engine. That can help ,with your decision.
Your downlow says 3:91's. With that cam,roughly a 10",or a 9.5 converter about 3000-3500 in the ballpark. Tuning is everything here. Carb,timing curve should be spot on.Nice find,btw.

The cam is good for the 12's easy with 3.91's and a good converter.
Bowl Port the J heads.

The cam is good for the 12's easy with 3.91's and a good converter.
Bowl Port the J heads.

Give me a call with the part # of the piston to determine if some of the dome can be machined off. A call to Arias is in order here. Other than reducing the compression somewhat-as already mentioned find someone to work the heads properly and you could end up with a nice strong 360 with far more than 380 hp. J.Rob

-
Back