360 engine help

-

schnackenberg

Reaction score
I have a 360 I built I am having issues with and I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out

I built it several years ago and put it in a power wagon. had lots of power, would start in second just by letting off the clutch without touching the accelerator. This was my daily driver for about 2 years. It has MSD 6AL ignition box, coil wires and mechanical distributor. RV cam, Holley vacuum secondary 600 CFM carb, Edelbrock RPM intake, headman headers, and I did a full rebuild with new 30 over pistons and everything.

I started driving a more economical car for a while and came back to it and noticed it wasn't running right it idles just fine but once its put into gear it bogs down really bad at around 1200 RPM then kicks in really strong. If I just rev it in neutral it seems to rev much easier but sometimes hesitates pretty bad.

So to me it sounded like a bad accelerator pump, so I replaced that. Old one looked good, made no difference. Then I rebuilt the whole carb, no difference. New plugs, new fuel... no difference. increased the pump jets in the carb, nothing. I just removed the distributor cap and noticed the little ball at the top was broken. Ah ha, found it! I ordered a replacement cap and... no difference. I just tested compression on all the cylinders and got 135 PSI all around so nothing mechanically wrong. I can't seem to find any vacuum leaks, or timing setting that helps.

I'm hoping someone around here might be able to give me some advice and help me get this engine healthy again.

Never cheat on a mopar that used to be your daily driver!

Do you have another carb you could swap to? Do you have spark?

1st thing...where is the timing set at?

have you ever checked the accelerator pump to see if soon as you move the throttle blade the pump squirts....?

First obvious question, is the fuel fresh? Maybe try running the engine with a hose from fuel pump inlet to a small jug of fresh gas.

It has fresh fuel, I pulled all the ignition wires off the plugs and listened for an arc to make sure each one was firing and my timing is set at 15 before, it doesn't like to go any closer than that. As soon as the throttle is pulled i can see fuel shooting in.

I really wish i had a spare working carb to swap on.

check to see if the intake manifold bolts are tight........

I tested around the intake manifold with ether and couldn't detect a leak. It's also pulling 17" vacuum at 900 RPM so there are no leaks.

I just found a rebuild kit to fix a carter AFB I have so I'll try that and see how that works

I understand the frustration, since you've covered just about everything :banghead:.

I hesitate to think that the carb is the problem at this point, but all I can offer is to make sure all the ignition related wire connections are good and clean, along with the mounting/grounding of the ignition box. After that, maybe swap to a known good coil?

Good luck :thumleft:. Keep us informed on what you find.

Unplug the vacuum advance and drive it again to see if it still does it. If it does not have the issue, replcae the vacuum advance. Also check the PCV valve, and the brake booster. Sometimes sitting milage is worse than actual road use.

Well it seems to really like the carter just to give you guys an update. I was so excited to give it a test i forgot i borrowed some extra tubing from the break booster to extend the fuel line. :shock:

-
Back