360 Engine Misfiring

-

360mopar

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Dart with a 360 and the 3 speed auto. When I start driving and give it the gas, you get a pop from the carb and then it runs fine. It only pops when you start driving, one pop or misfire then it runs fine. I checked the spark plug wires.

Where is the initial timing set?

I know cars need timing I should have said , I have never had to set the timing.
Why does it matter, how many cars I have owned. I asked for help, not for douche bag responses

I know cars need timing I should have said , I have never had to set the timing.
Why does it matter, how many cars I have owned. I asked for help, not for douche bag responses

Nobody's giving douche bag responses. We have zero input from you as to the level of your experience. My crystal ball is broken. We cannot look through the internet and do a Vulcan mind meld with some member who comes on here and asks a half assed question, then turns around and calls people douche bags for attempting to get information that should have been given to begin with.

Do you buy things like appliances and lawn equipment and not read the instructions? There IS an instruction manual for your car. It's called a factory service manual. Not Chiltons or any of that aftermarket garbage, but factory. I suggest you find one for your car and read it. That will give you a huge head start that would otherwise take a very long time for us to impart on you here.

Make sure all the basics are covered. Tune up, timing, carburetor operation and adjustment. That guy you called a douche bag is one of the sharpest members here. He was trying to get information from you to help you. If I were you I would stop acting like a douche bag and answer him. It will help you in the long run. Calling people names when they're trying to help is not getting you off to a good start. Keep it up. Then you won't get any help at all from here.

Rusty is right about that one. AJ and Rusty are both good at what they do. I would heed their words. As long as your patient I feel these guys can answer almost anything with a little information. Every question has a reason behind it.

Popping back through the carb typically means a couple of things. Check your timing, and make sure your carb is set up properly. I heard someone suggested the accelerator pump. What kind of carb are you using?

Sounds like a cold engine lean misfire, but who knows at this point.

He only said when he starts driving. I assumed he meant when he takes off from a stop sign. Not after he just starts it.

He only said when he starts driving. I assumed he meant when he takes off from a stop sign. Not after he just starts it.

Still could be the same answer.
That's what a working accelerator pump is for even if it isn't cold, right?

Be nice! :cheers::cheers:

the reason I asked "needed timing" was to find out if he already screwed with it. my second sentence was a little smart assy, but when there is virtually zero information to work with , it is like asking, "I have a tire, will it fit this rim". the sentence "this is my first car that needed timing" sounds like this is his first car , which is probably why AJ asked the question he did. with a douche bag calling people douche bags that are trying to help, will get absolutely nowhere here , I promise. with very limited information, we end up with more questions than the OP

what carb?

rebuilt ? old ? new?

any parts that are new?
what ignition?
does it have a choke?

own a timing light?

do anything to it already ?/////////////

buy it this way ?

is it blue ?

not

enough

information

blah blah

blah

When you say it only does it when you first start driving, do you mean when you first start the car and it is cold? Like you crank it up in the morning, leave the house, stop at a stop sign, then it pops as you give it gas to go again? Then once the motor warms up a bit it doesn't do it anymore? If so that's an issue with the engine not being warm enough to vaporize the fuel and you're getting a lean pop when giving it too much throttle input too quickly.

So anyway back to the original question....

Well from the wee bit of info, I would venture theres one sparkplug, or one intake valve, thats cranky.(assuming the timing is at least close). It could be as simple as a too-wide plug gap, and a coil that just cant quite light it under heavy load. Coils are funny that way.I doubt its an intake valve.I doubt its a cracked insulator, but could be. I doubt its a pump, cause he would be complaining about other driveability issues. Lean missfire? Sure, but they dont usually come in ones. Timing? sure, but again theres other driveability issues that accompany it.A bad exhaust valve could do it, but the idle usually gives that guy away.
Yeah, so, flip a coin at this point.

Who cares? All my stuff runs great.

Let me offer a little advice here....

You're new to this site, and may not get the flow of things yet. That's ok, it will come with time and experience.

Some people may be able to help you, some not. You are on the internet, you are bound to get a couple of "off" responses to your post, ignore them, and don't go flying off right away. Flying off and insulting people will just drive more away who could have helped you solve your problem. (put on your thick skin and let the other guy's smart *** comments go - don't take them personally, sometimes we are just having fun). Part of it is kind of an initiation... Like giving a freshman a swirlie...

If you take some of the gruff, and answer some of the necessary questions so we can help you, then you will be able to work through this.

First off, to help you fix it, we need to know a few things about it, that is why they are asking questions.

You have to ANSWER the questions for us to be able to move forward and help you figure out what is going on with your car. It is a give-and-take situation.

Now the question on how many cars you have owned is a valid one. He's trying to see how much experience you have. If you don't have much experience, and we talk at you like you do - way above your level, we may loose you - as we think you know what we are talking about, but you really don't. We need to put into terms that a beginner can understand if you are a beginner. Some of us have been doing this for 30 years or more, and can really help guide you through the problem. Just be patient with us "grumpy old men" and we can help you.... We need to get to know you and what level you are at, so we can talk at a level that you will understand.

Now let's get to the point here.

What do you know about checking timing?

Do you know how to use a timing light? Do you own one? Is it a regular timing light or an advanced timing light with a dial?

Do you know what initial timing is?

Do you know what total timing is?

Have you checked the timing on your car to see where it is set at? Initial timing? Total timing?

So you know how to re-curve a distributor?

What year, model car are you working on?

What engine do you have?

What ignition and carb do you have?

Let's start by answering these questions and working from there? If you don't answer, then we won't be able to help you... We need you to try our suggestions and give us feedback on how they worked to help you dial it in.

Or you could just start replacing parts until you finally come across one that may help, but that's wasting money and may not be your problem at all....

-
Back