360 Fire up trouble

-

JeffAnkney

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I have a rebuilt 360 in my 74 Duster. It takes me a little bit to get it started. It'll turn over fine, but it'll take a minute for it to start. Once started, I'll have to keep on the gas for a little otherwise it'll die. It'll take me a good 10 to 15 minutes for it to become warm before I can let off the gas. During that 10-15 minutes of warm up time, if I decide to put it in gear, it'll bog out and not move. Can I get some help on what's going on? Thank you!

have you set the timing with a timing light?

I have not. Wouldn't that make a difference throughout the whole time driving though? Not just the start up?

well..it would eliminate any problems with it being the timing...lol

Is the carberator equipped with a choke ?

Is the carberator equipped with a choke ?

Sure sounds like it doesn't.
Or even if it does and it's working the high idle might not be set.

This sound suspiciously like the post where the person never had a carbed engine before and didn't know you have to pump the gas once or twice to get some fuel in the engine and get the choke set.

On my own car its twice to the floor and hit the key and it fires up RIGHT NOW.
One more tap of the pedal brings the idle down to 1,200 RPM and I let it run right there for a couple of minutes.

It's all messed up! lol
"where's your T-port sync set at?, and what's your idle-timing?
Bigger cams need more idle air bypass, and more initial timing.Satisfy their needs!"

The long cranking time speaks to a lean condition
The long warm-up time speaks to a rich idle condition, or a faulty stat
The lack of accepting a load speaks to a lack of idle timing or a failure in the power circuit to remain off, or a mismatch of the tune,to the stall-speed.
again;
"where's your T-port sync set at?, and what's your idle-timing?
Bigger cams need more idle air bypass, and more initial timing.Satisfy their needs!

Here is a no-tools-required set-up;
Put a hose on the vacuum advance port and stick the other end on your tongue,grab the dizzy and crank advance into it until the rpm no longer rises. If the idle speed went too high, crank it down until the vacuum as felt on your tongue feels like zero,or the idle speed is acceptably low, whichever comes first.Reset your mixture screws as may be required.
Now try it.
If you still have trouble, set the T-port sync.
This is a preliminary idle timing setting only. Do not run more than 50% throttle til you get the power timing set.

Sure sounds like it doesn't.
Or even if it does and it's working the high idle might not be set.

This sound suspiciously like the post where the person never had a carbed engine before and didn't know you have to pump the gas once or twice to get some fuel in the engine and get the choke set.

On my own car its twice to the floor and hit the key and it fires up RIGHT NOW.
One more tap of the pedal brings the idle down to 1,200 RPM and I let it run right there for a couple of minutes.

Yup, you are explaining setting the choke to close (tap pedal once or twice) then after startup you tap the pedal once again to "kickdown" the idle. Its nice being old and remembering how carbureted cars work, LOL! P.S. and I aint that old really, I have been playing around with cars since teenager years though LOL! :)

Also keep in mind that the carb has to be working correctly to accurately set timing. You may have to tweak the carb, and set timing and do this a couple of times to get it right. I had a 318 with a mild cam and 600 Holley. I had the choke wired full open, the car would start cold every time, I cant explain why, but it did and I never set the choke up on the carb, it needed a hand cable or an electric setup and I never added it on. I didn't run the car in the winter though who knows what it would have done in frigid temps.

Yup, you are explaining setting the choke to close (tap pedal once or twice) then after startup you tap the pedal once again to "kickdown" the idle. Its nice being old and remembering how carbureted cars work, LOL! P.S. and I aint that old really, I have been playing around with cars since teenager years though LOL! :)

Also keep in mind that the carb has to be working correctly to accurately set timing. You may have to tweak the carb, and set timing and do this a couple of times to get it right. I had a 318 with a mild cam and 600 Holley. I had the choke wired full open, the car would start cold every time, I cant explain why, but it did and I never set the choke up on the carb, it needed a hand cable or an electric setup and I never added it on. I didn't run the car in the winter though who knows what it would have done in frigid temps.

I just cut the choke tower off on an eddy non-performer, car lights quick even sub-zero. Couple blips and it''ll purr until you shut it off. I give it maybe a 45 second warmup before I roll out, maybe 15 seconds in hot temps.

-
Back