360 girdle?????

-
There are 4 bolt mains that can be had, not sure on the girdle. Interesting question though, as I am planning a build now.

I hardly find a reason to use it unless your building a seriously heavy duty race engine a bit beyond what the old pro stock cars ran. They didn't need it.

well itll be a 500 plus motor so it couldnt hurt, the less walk the better more support

Not really. These SBM girdles dont do anything without the right cap. And the stock caps is not the right cap to use with them.

A set of ARP studs, a GOOD LIGHT WELL BALANCE rotating assembly will put you further ahead. Put the $280 you were going to spend on the girdle into a lighter assembly.

There is no need for a girdle if you are using ARP studs...save your money. Just my 2 cents.

4 bolt mains are for chebbies... Save the strength of the block and use two-bolt studs. Should hold up plenty well with a balanced assembly.

4 bolt mains are for chebbies... Save the strength of the block and use two-bolt studs. Should hold up plenty well with a balanced assembly.

A 4 bolt main a Chevy thing? Incorrect! It certainly is a strength item not limited to Chevy. MoPars can use a 4 bolt main and they did come stock on the AAR - T/A cars. There a worthy upgrade, but, I myself would only use the 4 bolt main when it comes with the race block. I figure, IF I'm going to build a monster of a motor and it could use/need a 4 bolt main, I'll step up to a race block. Since it'll be a seriously built high horse power engine. Well beyond a mere 500HP street engine.

The stock block will take a good bit of power. Hard blocking it and on a good core with thicker than normal cylinders and other such things can more the power abilities up some, but it is a stock block and it does have it's limits.

I'll yield at 500 for the street. It's a lot of stress for the engine at this level, for the stock block and daily or semi daily usage. Weekend blaster... Ok, maybe more, but.... IDK about that for long life.

(All ways a catch 22 going on and what your willing to live with.)

340 TA blocks in AAR/TA did not come with 4 bolt mains from the factory...the mains have thicker webs to accommodate 4 bolt caps...but from the factory nope..nawh...

A 4 bolt main a Chevy thing? Incorrect! It certainly is a strength item not limited to Chevy. MoPars can use a 4 bolt main and they did come stock on the AAR - T/A cars. There a worthy upgrade, but, I myself would only use the 4 bolt main when it comes with the race block. I figure, IF I'm going to build a monster of a motor and it could use/need a 4 bolt main, I'll step up to a race block. Since it'll be a seriously built high horse power engine. Well beyond a mere 500HP street engine.

The stock block will take a good bit of power. Hard blocking it and on a good core with thicker than normal cylinders and other such things can more the power abilities up some, but it is a stock block and it does have it's limits.

I'll yield at 500 for the street. It's a lot of stress for the engine at this level, for the stock block and daily or semi daily usage. Weekend blaster... Ok, maybe more, but.... IDK about that for long life.

(All ways a catch 22 going on and what your willing to live with.)

I was more referring to the block design. I didn't see mention of a race block above, and I know drilling the stock (non-race) mopar small blocks weakens the area around the mains. I was not aware of any Mopars that came stock with 4-bolt mains, though I know the race blocks have thicker webbing around the mains so that they can be drilled and still maintain their strength.

My Chevy comment was derived from the availability and popularity of the 4-bolt mains for chevy motors, both stock and aftermarket.

I would certainly investigate 4-bolt mains and a stud girdle if I were building a motor above 500-600 horsepower. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be building a high horsepower motor like that for some time.

-
Back