360 Heads on a 318

-

R72Demon

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Dart with a 318 in it and the last owner of the car put #596 casting 360 heads on it. I am told that these heads drop the comp. quite a bit. I am pulling the engine out real soon and would like to make a little more power. I have a 340 spec. cam for it along with a double roller timing chain, HV oil pump, Edelbrock performer intake, Edelbrock 1405 600 cfm carb., and Dynomax headers. I would like to keep the 360 heads as they are in good shape. So Im thinking I should have the heads milled??? Has anyone built a similar engine, or can give me some tips. Thanks.

You will need the heads milled, and also the intake face of the heads milled to match the new angle. Maybe different pushrods or rocker spacers for the lifter preload.

If I'm not mistaken, the Edelbrock Performer intake runners do not match up well with the 596 head, and are a better match with some 318 heads. Mike

I had a set of 360 heads on a 318 as well. It did not run good at all. I took the original 318 heads and had them ported and polished and do a 3 angle valve job on them and they ran awesome. They are for sale by the way............LOL

If you need to keep the 360 heads and your pulling the engine anyway for a rebuild, use the KB 318 zero deck piston to get some decent squeeze out of the large chambered 360 head.
A slight milling would help create a quenched area. The head is rather large for mild 318 useage. If your pumping up the 318, they'll be ok for use. (Larger cam, higher stalls and 3.90's+ type stuff.)

71 Val's heads should be looked into if you have the cash to spend.

ValiantMike said:
If I'm not mistaken, the Edelbrock Performer intake runners do not match up well with the 596 head, and are a better match with some 318 heads. Mike

My performer intake has been matched to the #596 heads.

rumblefish360 said:
If you need to keep the 360 heads and your pulling the engine anyway for a rebuild, use the KB 318 zero deck piston to get some decent squeeze out of the large chambered 360 head.
A slight milling would help create a quenched area. The head is rather large for mild 318 useage. If your pumping up the 318, they'll be ok for use. (Larger cam, higher stalls and 3.90's+ type stuff.)

71 Val's heads should be looked into if you have the cash to spend.

I dont really want to buy new pistons, Im doing a low budget build. Maybe I'll just go to the junkyard and pick up a good set of #302 casting 318 heads. What everyones opinion on these heads?

302 heads, very good.
Probably do better with Magnum heads.
My performer intake has been matched to the #596 heads.
Port match'em.... your done.

so basically a stock set of #302 heads and port them to my intake and then bolt 'em on. Hmmm....that might be what I'll do, what kinda comp. would these give me???

Well I ended up getting the 360 heads milled .40" The machinist said I will need to get different push rods. Anybody know what ones I will need?

You should be measuring to see what you need. What I need for one build, and what anyone else needs for their build, is usually not the same. Only you have the block, heads, gaskets, and rocker assemblies. Comp has a pushrod length checker they sell. I would grab it, and use it, and check the first and last holes on each bank for lifter preload if it's a hydraulic cam.

-
Back