360 help

-

Black Girl

Reaction score
:sign3:hey guys
I have a 69 dart conv. with a 360, I think I'm leaving alot of power on the table,eng. was built for a ramcharger.It has edelbrock performer heads a performer maniflold not rpm performer and 650 carb also edelbrock.msd,headers h pipe 904 trans. and 3.23sure grip.The cam is a crane w .427in.lift and.454ex.lift 260in.duration and272ex.smooth idle which I think is a truck cam,car runs on pump gas.I was thinking of changing cam to edelbrock rpm cam#7177 and maybe air gap manifold#7576 tohave there power pak. It has stk. converter will this need to be changed and to what.Is a650 carb. enough?What about a hughes whiplash cam.I use this car on the street but I love to have FUN!

Well, it sounds like a good base. Are you looking to race this car? With a convertible and mild gearing, you have a cruiser and that's a good package. If you want to perk it up, I'd suggest a better cam (not edelbrock). The Performer intake isnt a big deal, but you'll gain by replacing it. I like the Comp cams, or Lunati before Hughes, but any of those three, in a mild grind, will be fine and not need the convertor changed.

I run a 274 extreme comp cam in my 69 dart and basiclly the same motor set up you. it does have a air gap intake on it. It runs pretty good I think at a 8.4 in the 8th. That is with the stock stall. It really needs a bigger stall to get the car to jump out of the whole, but for a street car should be fine.
DSC_0699.jpg
[/IMG]

The thing that sticks out most to me is the intake.
I would try an intake swap first. The Performer is killing you.Go to a RPM or Air-Gap.
If you have the Thunder series Ede AVS 650, that should work well.
Your motor can handle a 750 cfm as well.
Try the intake first. Should be a whole different beast.

If you decide on a different cam, I would stay away from the Ede.
Go for either a XE 268 or XE 274 Comp cam.

What about those gears guys? 3.23 good crusin gear.depending on tire size I'd bump up to 3.55 or 3.73

But again, it's a convertible. It's not a race car, nor will it deal with most power well without adding subframe connectors, and adding gears takes away from the cruising pleasure. JMO of course.

-
Back