360 in a 65 dart

-

richdart

Reaction score
i have a 65 dart gt with a slant 6. What do i need to swap to cram a 360 into it? This is my first mopar so im not to familiar with them.

You don't have to cram it in the rich...it'll fit just fine. You need a V8 steering centerlink, V8 motor mounts, correct oil pan, V8 radiator, ...there was another thread recently about which exhaust manifolds to use and I didn't see where that ended so you can search for that. The V8 swap has been discussed over and over again on here so yo can search that also.

Dave

...there was another thread recently about which exhaust manifolds to use and I didn't see where that ended so you can search for that.

I've heard that 68-70 340 manifolds fit just fine; however, I've never seen any pictures to confirm this. Maybe just a myth.

Here,s what I,ve done to do the swap in my 66 Dart..
Shumacher V8 mounts.
Manual column and box
Spitfire headers(cheapest at $235)
I used a V8 318 rad
73 V8 Dart driveshaft(it was a boltup to the 8 3/4 rear)
re-wired for elec.ignition

re and re of 66 Dart 006.jpg

re and re of 66 Dart 007.jpg

re and re of 66 Dart 003.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 004.jpg

I think they will fit just fine, there's always headers..and that's another thread rich can search for cause some find it fairly easy to put them on and some have a terrible time, depending on the make of header, power steering, power brakes, and I don't know what else because I haven't tried to put a set on an a-body.
Thanks pettyblue I forgot about the driveshaft and rear if rich has the original 7 1/4...another issue would be the trans, what do you plan there?

Post a picture of the trans and it'll get identified, or somebody here will tell you the difference is in the trans pan...a 904 has a square pan and a 727 doesn't...or something like that...as far as the rear, again you can post a picture and somebody will identify it what size it is, 7 1/4, 8 1/4, 8 3/4..as far as what gear it is it may have a tag on it which may or may not be correct, you'll have to open it up and physically look at the gear to be sure.

Thanks Joe...727 is probably good behind the 360, but not the best fit in a 65, I believe you'll have to adjust the floor pan a bit. As far as the rear gears the ratio is stamped on the ring gear.

-
Back