360 LA to Magnum swap, How hard is it?

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
I'm looking into the possibilities of doing a LA to magnum engine swap.
how easy is this, is it just a bolt in or do certain things need to get replaced when switching from a LA to a 360 Magnum engine?

My car is a 67 barracuda with a '74 360 (LA Block) with stock manifolds and Edelbrock 650 Thunder carb, backed by a 727. Will a '99 magnum engine with Edelbrock heads be an easy swap?

Can I re-use my current transmission, motor mounts, toque converter, carb, waterpump, powersteering, distributor, radiator, exhaust manifolds, etc... or do certain parts need to be swapped?

I haven't had time yet to properly search the forum so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

On a 99 Magnum ,generally yes. You will have to offset grind/ drill one hole on the stock flex plate. If a weighted 360 converter,knock the weights of. The 99 flex plate is already counter weighted. You need to run the early LA timing cover,to retain the p.s. ,alt ,water pump setup you have. If carbed,you need a new Magnum manifold. Mopar,Professional Products,Edelbrock there. If running a v belt setup,you need to replace that awful harmonic balancer. Use a Professional Products no 80012,use the Magnum supplied counter weight. More tips and tricks at www.Magnumswap.com.Nice car you have.

Hard to beat a roller cam, metric rings, and superior sealing

major disadvantage more $$$$$ than la to build

Other than stock,needs to be applied. Post your needs.

Thanks, for the responses guys

Here are some specs on the engine in question:
- 99 360 magnum block
- Diamond racing pistons (51021)
- comp cams XR286-HR10 (not sure this would work with my 3.23 gears and mild stall)
- Edelbrock aluminum heads (61779)
- comp cams roller lifters (8920-16)
- Edelbrock intake (7577)
- Milodon oil pan (30940)

This combo would probably work best with headers, high (2600) stall and steeper gears (3.91) correct? or do you guys think it would do okay with the stock manifolds, mild stall (not sure probably around 2000-2200) and 3.23 gears?

You went studs,Magnum based. Just picked up a Howard's Hyd roller. .520/515; lift.229/233 @ .050....

Since you guys are running big cams, what valve springs did you use? I can't find any listed for magnums that arent crazy priced.... I'm putting in a magnum in my Charger and i wanted a cam but the springs would blow the budget.

Hughes 1110 springs,matching retainers,use stock OEM valve locks. As for a budget came,have your cord reground by Oregon Cams,or Bullitt Cams.A regrind usually runs 150-175,compared to 300+ for a new one. Keep the lift at .520 or less. The valve guides/retainer clearances get kind of close here.

-
Back