360 Magnum/A518?

-

CSL DART

1971 DART SWINGER
Reaction score
Just reaching out to see if someone can point me in the right direction. I'm wondering if there's an optimum year from the early Magnum blocks that already came with an A518? I'm trying to find the A518 before it required the computer chip, possibly a 93? Not even sure if there was such a combination? Thanks in advance!

Just reaching out to see if someone can point me in the right direction. I'm wondering if there's an optimum year from the early Magnum blocks that already came with an A518? I'm trying to find the A518 before it required the computer chip, possibly a 93? Not even sure if there was such a combination? Thanks in advance!
I understand that I'm looking for the 46RH version of the A518, just wondering if there's a year they came along with a Magnum 360?

Not sure it matters because you can adapt an LA transmission to a magnum. You need the proper weighted Magnum 360 flexplate, which is different than an LA and a neutral converter. If you use an older LA trans / neutral converter, it will likely have the "odd" bolt pattern, but many on here advocate just oblonging the "odd" flexplate hole

I am sure that the early RAM/ VANs would have had this combo, about 93, 94. You know what to look for at the connector?

It depends on the use of the factory efi, but I think computer control for the transmission came along in '97, so '96 and earlier is good, down to '92/'93

the 46RH was available in the pickups to some where around 1996....

the 46RH was available in the pickups to some where around 1996....

Pretty sure 95 was the last year of the H transmissions and 96 was the first year of the E's.
So yea, close enough.

Friend of mine had a 96 with a RH in also...that is why I guessed 96.....

there are two versions of this family of overdrive transmissions RE for computer and RH for hydraulic/governor controlled for this family of 518 trans//46/47/48
The 47RH was eventually replaced by the 47RE. (The 4 was the number of gears, including an overdrive; the capacity rating of 7; R for rear wheel drive; and H for hydraulic control, or E for electronic control). The primary difference appears to have been the name, since Chrysler press materials noted that even the 47RE had hydraulic shift control (other than the overdrive, which was electronically activated in both automatics).

lots of good answers
95 4 sure
96- you have to check the trans connector for 3 pins
you can use 92-94 318 trans by putting weights on the converter

clue
the early trans has a mainshaft that is about .030 smaller
so you can't put early gears on a late shaft
but you can put late gears on an early shaft- a little sloppy and they will strip
there are straight cut diesel gears for the early shaft- highly recommended as they are much stronger and the helical gears early shaft are 22 degrees and put a lot of pressure on the thrust plates which give up and you are stranded or worse
the other fix is you can put 47 guts in your earlier trans giving you the 15 degree helical gears and other stronger parts
use the Transgo reprogramming kit
I recommend 1/2 inch cooler hose and a cooler with half inch in and out- gotta keep those thrusts cool and lubed
I have 300,000 miles on mine
use ATF4+

OBD2 started in 96, so did the 46RE. 1995-down is where you want to look. This assumes you are not also keeping the EFI for the engine.

OBD2 started in 96, so did the 46RE. 1995-down is where you want to look. This assumes you are not also keeping the EFI for the engine.

I would say early 96 down is where you would want to look.

My 96 has a manufacture date of 8/95.
It does not have an OBD2 port under the dash.

yep early 96 any 96 you have to check
you have to check the connector pins on the trans- there may have been an engine/ trans swap in the last 30 years
Me I'd keep the EFI but then mine's a daily driver

lots of good answers
95 4 sure
96- you have to check the trans connector for 3 pins
you can use 92-94 318 trans by putting weights on the converter

clue
the early trans has a mainshaft that is about .030 smaller
so you can't put early gears on a late shaft
but you can put late gears on an early shaft- a little sloppy and they will strip
there are straight cut diesel gears for the early shaft- highly recommended as they are much stronger and the helical gears early shaft are 22 degrees and put a lot of pressure on the thrust plates which give up and you are stranded or worse
the other fix is you can put 47 guts in your earlier trans giving you the 15 degree helical gears and other stronger parts
use the Transgo reprogramming kit
I recommend 1/2 inch cooler hose and a cooler with half inch in and out- gotta keep those thrusts cool and lubed
I have 300,000 miles on mine
use ATF4+
Did the A500 /42rh get the .030 larger mainshaft also ???

NO AFIK-- the 42 does have a nice larger groove for the oil feed from the side of the trans from the cooler
you can grind the 46 which I recommend just lay it on an an angle on your bench grinder and grind a v notch almost down to the root size of the shaft, and open up the hole from the side of the block, larger cooler line fittings, drill the shaft etc
weak spot on the early RH with the steep helix is the thrust washers- they need all the cool oil then can get
IDK that there was ever a 47 RH but you can make one- stick the 47 guts in the early case and valve body way to go if using late shaft with 15 degree helix gearset
for the early shaft use the straight cut diesel gears- no thrust on the thrust washer

-
Back