360 Magnum Budget Build Recommendations?

-

Retson

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm 16, and building a 1970 Duster all by myself.
The guy I got it from swapped in the magnum but never finished the work, and it's a POS, not in a position to spend a few grand yet for an engine swap, so what would you recommend doing?

I plan on purchasing these parts when I get my paycheck.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...roduct_Code=20-601-9&Category_Code=LACAMRFHRT

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-5076/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-14073/overview/

If these aren't what you would suggest, can you recommend something around the same price?
ngoNV2nl.jpg

that's not a magnum engine, if I was you at your age and in your position I would buy some cheap headers, find a factory thermoquad and rebuild it, clean up the intake that's on it, and run it, and go kick the guy in the nuts that told that's a magnum engine,

Not quite sure where to start young man? But put your current parts list on hold for right now.....

First off, that's not a "Magnum" engine. Looks more like a 70's/80's 360 LA engine to me, although it may be a 318 with a Thermoquad intake?

You need to find out if it's even usable first, and if it is, make sure it's mounted properly in that chassis.

Then there's the exhaust manifold's? I can't tell what they are by the picture, but I doubt the drivers side will work.

To me, this looks like a much bigger project then you anticipated. Honestly by that pic, it looks like a shell with a engine sitting in it.

You need to figure out the shape of the current motor first, just throwing parts at it wont really get you where you want to be. Did it run prior to being put in there? and how long has the intake been wide open like that? hopefully water didnt get in there. Does it spin by using a wrench?

And like the others have said thats not a magnum engine. So the cam that you listed is a roller cam, you would also need retro-fit roller lifters as well, and then the heads would need work for the new springs. A LA engine has a flat tappet cam and not a roller. And If its a bone stock engine you probably wont be too happy with that cam (could be wrong though) seems pretty big for a stock low compression engine, the solid roller going in my 360 doesnt even have that much duration! lol. A big cam isnt always better, a cam matched with the entire car is the funnest. Dont buy anything yet, it took me a few months to decide on the cam I wanted to run.

Whats the plan for the car? and what does it have? type of trans, rear end gears stuff like that.

Honestly, I want it pretty simple, but loud. I've been inspired by imports (I know) but I really like the look of a custom, flat firewall. Would you say it's a 360 LA? Is there a way for me to tell?

Like I said, I really can't swap the engine. Which it turns over with a breaker bar.

I called the guy up, he said it's an LA from late 70's.

I would start with a compression test,to see what you have. If it has good compression in all eight,maybe consider that one. Depends on your skills/ budget/ and if you need help . Possible, your high school auto shop could help .

First, looking at your parts selection, skip the Torquer II and go to the RPM intake. Though, as mentioned, that intake and a TQ will run real nice. Been there done that.
The inexpensive Summit racing headers are a good bargain.

On the drivers side of the engine block are numbers. Read them, copy them, report back with them.

I couldn't locate any numbers on the block, the Intake Manifold had 1843 6572 on it.

I couldn't find a single marking, the only numbers I could see where on the harmonic balancer.

Look for numbers "stamped", not cast on the front of the block just below the drivers side cyl. head & also just above the oil pan rail on the passenger side. They would be on machined areas and may need to be cleaned well to see clearly.

Crap can the intake and carburetor choices. That carburetor is an AFB design. Get a Thunder AVS 650, you will be MUCH happier. Also, since it's an LA, IMO you will be MUCH better off with this cam instead:

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=636&sb=2

Ground similar to the Thumpr cams, but not on as tight an LSA which will give a better vacuum signal and better street manners and still retain the choppy idle. IMO you will like the way it runs much better. And since you don't have a Magnum, the flat tappet will be much cheaper on a 16 year old's budget. It also calls for the famous 901-16 spring which is a single spring (read CHEAP) and requires zero machining on the heads to use. Even more money ahead. The cam's relatively low lift means there will be little stress on the valve train for a long time of reliable service. Just a smart move all the way around.

I agree about the RPM intake, OR even retaining the stock one. They are very good pieces. They are an excellent piece and outflow many aftermarket aluminum intakes on the market.

But crap can that carburetor choice. Besides being too big, get off the ricer kick. Who the hell wants a black carburetor? Stupidest lookin thing I ever saw. Much more important things to spend money on than something you think looks cool, that really doesn't. The Thunder AVS 650 will be all that engine will ever need.

This is where the numbers are located, and in my case that is a 360 by looking at the end numbers. That is on the drivers side located closer to the rear like stated. They are probably covered with grime, but they are there.

Attachments

• Iphone Pictures 162.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 498
If you have a cell phone with picture capabilities, find a way to get a picture,on sides of the block .Look for a 318/340/360- another number ,on the end. (Drivers side,IIRC). Lompoc is full of car guys, anyone you can ask?

Sorry for the lag, This is week is finals week and it's been killing my time, I'll do a more thorough check tomorrow!

Sorry for the lag, This is week is finals week and it's been killing my time, I'll do a more thorough check tomorrow![/QUOTE
Life ,happens. I would hold back on any high buck stuff,until you know what the hell you have, Man. You need to find out,what you have, first. Patience,saves, money & makes ,for a better build. If Bremer's Napa, still has their machine shop, they are good.

-
Back