360 Magnum Build SFS (S-crounging F-or S-craps)

-
I'm open to suggestions. J.Rob
I would think about cutting the yokes off, rotating them, and then welding them back together on a fixture. If you TIG weld then normalize afterwards, shouldn’t have to worry about it fracturing. I don’t think you can know that geometry but if you had access to a shaper, you could probably make it happen. Of course the other option is wire EDM but I don’t know how long it would take to cut and how expensive that could end up. I don’t think water jet. doubt laser or water jet would be accurate enough, but could rough it in

Last edited:
I would think about cutting the yokes off, rotating them, and then welding them back together on a fixture. If you TIG weld then normalize afterwards, shouldn’t have to worry about it fracturing. I don’t think you can know that geometry but if you had access to a shaper, you could probably make it happen. Of course the other option is wire EDM but I don’t know how long it would take to cut and how expensive that could end up. I don’t think water jet. doubt laser or water jet would be accurate enough, but could rough it in
Very good suggestions. Thanks, J.Rob

Took a little time today to baseline the Chinesium. I had low expectations and they undershot those. :(

So quickly revised the VJ, removed some material around the valve, and blended the ridge where their machining left off at the valve job. Results are in the photo. I'm only targeting 265-270 cfm as I only intend on 450-500 hp and plan on keeping the port "high and tight". J.Rob

SBMAL1020.jpg

CFM#s.jpg

Those heads usually have HUGE throats and bowls. Sometimes you just can’t fix the VJ with a 2.02 valve. There nowhere to put it lol.

Those heads usually have HUGE throats and bowls. Sometimes you just can’t fix the VJ with a 2.02 valve. There nowhere to put it lol.
The throat is just a hair over 90% and yes the bowls are quite large. I see filling certain areas with Belzona in my future. J.Rob

I might be looking to machine/mill a flat in the lifter with correct orientation provided their is enough material

Played around machining the OEM lifter yokes and the Jesel lifters. Looks like this may actually work. J.Rob

millingmachinelifter.jpg

liftersinblock.jpg

liftercomparison.jpg

Well, I will have to machine the intake face of the heads for the LA manifolds, but the valve train is all Chevy. Probably go Scorpion 1.65/1.6 if available. J.Rob
Chevy rockers ?
Chevy guide plates ?
Pushrods ?
Beehive springs ?

Any updates @RAMM?
Some progress finally.

I really wanted to see if the T&D steel rockers could be made to work and it looks like they will. I was able to grab a few hours and machine the head and a test fit rocker bed plate. It looks like this will work. Valve lift with a .370" lobe and a 1.8 rocker measures .666" lift. With a 1.7 on the exhaust net lift is .641" Not going with the Jesel solid rollers, I'm going to modify some stock rollers. Then I had my son glass bead a grungy timing cover which we then gave the black wrinkle treatment. We then mocked it all up just to see. I believe the old Weiand valve covers will even clear the rockers ! The block is all machined and crank and cam are installed. I'm looking forward to the testing phase as the induction and the valvetrain are a huge question mark in my mind. J.Rob

1.8rockerliftcheck.jpg

rockerindicator.jpg

single4mockup.jpg

tunnelmockup.jpg

Some progress finally.

I really wanted to see if the T&D steel rockers could be made to work and it looks like they will. I was able to grab a few hours and machine the head and a test fit rocker bed plate. It looks like this will work. Valve lift with a .370" lobe and a 1.8 rocker measures .666" lift. With a 1.7 on the exhaust net lift is .641" Not going with the Jesel solid rollers, I'm going to modify some stock rollers. Then I had my son glass bead a grungy timing cover which we then gave the black wrinkle treatment. We then mocked it all up just to see. I believe the old Weiand valve covers will even clear the rockers ! The block is all machined and crank and cam are installed. I'm looking forward to the testing phase as the induction and the valvetrain are a huge question mark in my mind. J.Rob

View attachment 1716098449

View attachment 1716098450

View attachment 1716098451

View attachment 1716098452

Better with the tunnel ram. Very cool.

Yea I like the tunnel ram also. I am very interested in how your valvetrain performs. Nice work

-
Back