360 magnum

-

bdusted440

Reaction score
Hey all I have to replace my 318 in my 74 duster so Ive been looking for a 91 360 but have had no luck. I found a 360 magnum for cheap its a 97 in a ram. What will I have to change to put it in. I have headers so exhaust should be ok. I know ill either have to change the torque converter or a weighted flex plate. It has a 904 trans in it.

Do yourself a favor and read this site:

http://www.magnumswap.com/required-modifications/

http://www.magnumswap.com/automatic-transmission-details/

"The 5.9 Magnum uses a weighted flexplate and a neutral-balanced converter from the factory. To make life simple, be sure to get the flexplate with your engine. With the weighted flexplate, simply use a neutral balanced converter, these are readily available for most transmissions. We recommend this method."

LXguy has done alot of coverage on it.

Thanks for the link. I read that all when I searched the site. I was more looking for what you guys actually were seeing when you did the swap.

Here's a link for a nationwide database of salvage yards and their inventory. Do a search for your area for a 91 360 in a truck and see what pops up.

http://car-part.com/

Some of them may ship and give a warranty.

Thanks for the link. I read that all when I searched the site. I was more looking for what you guys actually were seeing when you did the swap.

Minus the EFI stuff. It's a bolt in deal, minus a bolt elongation on the flexplate for the torque converter. You may need to run a cam extension snout, never had any luck with that, so I blocked off the hole and ran an Mr. Gasket electric pump.

Todlich nailed it...read the magnum swap site...

Correct weighted flexplate to run a neutral balancer
360 type engine mounts or modify yours
360 LA A body oil pan and correct gaskets
Cam extension snout (works, but machining required) LA roller cam (if you want to run LA front dress) or magnum front dress with electric fuel pump...depends on what you wanna do...
magnum intake-if you go carb
LA distributor if you go carb-magnum is a locked out unit

...search function on here-there are probably a few dozen folks who've done the 5.2 or 5.9 magnum swap, myself included. I wish I'd found a 5.9, but a 5.2 was given to me, so that's what I went with.

^flexplate is good, take it off, mock it up to the converter, elongate the one hole that makes sense.

You mentioned headers ,in the o.p.... A easy tip: while the Magnum engine is on the stand,mock up the headers on the stand.The truck engine mount bosses, sometimes hit the headers(need to be ground down,on the engine block).Grab the Magnum mini starter ,if you can.

thanks guys. I already run the mini starter. I found a complete 97 5.9 so im going with that and its less than 60k and only 250.00 from a friend with a salvage yard.i pick it up tomorrow.so what intake to use the duel fit airgap or magnum. it will be edlbrock either way but I see all over there are two style air gaps.also the motor is completely dressed.alt a/c p/s all brackets and flywheel.

When it comes time for a cam, consider a re-grind, got mine done for $250 shipped both ways from bullet cams also have oregon cams. Good stuff maynard!

if I leave it stock for now with headers intake and carb what can I run for a regrind? and do I need longer push rods then? I don't have a lot of money in this car and I want to keep it that way but I want some performance out of it as it is my daily driver.

Most likely will need a longer push rod. Magnum swap website, has an inexpensive Comp push rod part no that is slightly larger.Depends what you want to run for gear & converter. Something [email protected],on like a 110-112 lobe centers,.480-.520 lift.(on the stock 1.6 rockers.). If you upgrade the came,gonna need new valve springs.(check out the Hughes 1110 springs,matching retainers).

its got a 3.55 suregrip and a 999 trans stock. and I have a couple of 2.2s in the barn.lol Im heading to Jefferson tomorrow on my way to open the cabin so ill see whats there too.

Well started striping it down today . have it cleaned up and ready for reassembly.Going to run LA front and pan. Stock cam for now.airgap intake and holly blue pump. And holley 3110 carb. And hedman headers flowing out 2 1/2 pipes and 80,s thrush mufflers.

Well started striping it down today . have it cleaned up and ready for reassembly.Going to run LA front and pan. Stock cam for now.airgap intake and holly blue pump. And holley 3110 carb. And hedman headers flowing out 2 1/2 pipes and 80,s thrush mufflers.

Should be solid.Do yourself a favor,mock the headers up on the engine stand. Make sure ,everything clears guy.

Anybody know where I can get a roller la cam for a fair price?
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-CAMS-Mopar-20-608-9-Camshaft-Chrysler-273-360-199-206-Hyd-Roller-cam-480/380900469939?_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.RVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22769%26meid%3D6906005314914000684%26pid%3D100047%26prg%3D9826%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D291142680826"]Comp Cams Mopar 20 608 9 Camshaft Chrysler 273 360 199 206 Hyd Roller Cam 480 | eBay[/ame]

I did. I had to massage the block a little with the grinder on driver side.:glasses7:
Thanks for the heads up.

-
Back