360 motorhome trans what needs done to fit to car

-

Sbonez

Reaction score
im looking at buying a 360 motorhome motor and trans however, i am putting the the motor in my 64 cuda what would have to be done to fix the trans so it bolts up to my car?

You will have to look at that given tranny and see if it is a long or a short. If it has a bolt on yoke on the tranny then you are in deep dodo.

It should not be a problem maybe the back mount and the dip stick may be different and also snag the torque from the motor home its a little higher stall .

the yoke on a motor home is different then the car yoke what do i do ?

In that case you'll need another trans. No easy way to fix that issue without ripping the trans down entirely. Small block trans are usually pretty cheap. Could even get a later lock up unit out of a diplomat if you plan to keep it stock.

It should not be a problem maybe the back mount and the dip stick may be different and also snag the torque from the motor home its a little higher stall .
sorry I stand corrected there is more I don't know than I do know .

most larger moterhomes have the transmission that has a bolt on driveshaft, pretty near useless in a car

some of the smaller ones and vans have the normal tail shaft, you'll have to look to see which it is, if its cheap enough the engine would be worth it (under $300)

im trading my 273 for the engine, if i pay 200 ontop of that i can get the motor and trans but the trans is different. where might i find the correct trans that fits the 360 that fits my car?

Is your 64 an automatic? Isn't it push button shift if it is? If so you need a shifter set up too.

Most people don't use 727s but opt for the 904 instead because they are lighter, easier to work around and just as good if not better of a tranny. They will handle some big horsepower too.

There may be a problem getting a balanced flywheel for a 360 to mate it with a trans that uses a 9 1/2" flywheel and bell housing! Not sure they even make them! You will probably also need to find a car oil pan and pickup for the motor, it may have a truck pan but again not sure! Geof

you can get a transmission from any small block mopar car or truck from 1966+ but you'll need all the automatic stuff too and a balanced torque converter or a balanced flex plate

I want manual not a auto would it be the same for manual not auto

You may or may not be overthinking this, depending on "the motorhome" If this is a smaller one, that has a van type nose, so 1 Ton and lighter, it might be same as a passenger car.

My understanding is that some of the HEAVY MH's have shorter trans, some have attached emergency drums on the drive end, and of course some have the bolt on shaft.

If it DOES NOT have a slip in yoke, I'd just not pick up the trans.

I don't want a auto I want to keep it manual but a new trans is what I was thinking I know the 360 will fit just need to move a motor mount

Keep the 4sp and rebuild it. If your rebuilding the 360 you can have it balanced to work with your flywheel. And use a pilot bushing from a newer dodge truck with a 5spd. Motor mount is relatively easy to make work. Plan on a better than oem clutch and pressure plate with the tiny clutch are cars have.

I would rebuild your trans and keep your 273. The crank is forged and has the pilot bushing you need to run a manual trans. Also the the crank will work in any 318 or 340 block. The adjustable rockers are worth keeping also. If your gears are good rebuilding the trans won't cost too much. A 318 block is as good as free and would work with all the other parts on the 273. With some higher compression height pistons and decent heads it would be way faster than the old 273.

-
Back