360 No Vacuum @ Idle?

-

Not-A-Duster

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an issue with my Dart. It is a 71-74 360 (casting 3418496 - 7 - 360) with crappy 318 heads (casting 2843675 / 2533) with an Edelbrock Torker 340 intake and Edelbrock 600cfm (1406) carb. Everything else is stock. The car has the stutter/hesitation when easing into the throttle from a stop. I checked most everything. The idle is at 14 degrees initial and 34 w/ advance with the vacuum advanced plugged. The accelerator pump linkage is in the middle hole and it looks to be working good. Trying to adjust the carb using a vacuum gauge like normally suggested I noticed that the car has 0 vacuum at idle. As soon as I rev it at all it goes to 15 but at idle it does not register. I checked for vacuum leaks but can't find any. It does look like the emissions stuff was removed from the 360. Since there is not smog pump is this why the idle vacuum is so low? Would the vacuum issue relate to the stutter or am I chasing a non issue? Any other suggestions?

Thank You for your time.

This sounds strange. Before I went any further I would hook your gauge to a different port and try again.

Can you get some vacuum to show by rotating the dizzy? I know you have it set but Just curious. What is your idle set at? Neutral VS. In Drive? Are you checking the vacuum hose that originally went to Vacuum advance?

you have the gauge hooked up to ported vacuum...move it to manifold for your readings

The port with no vacuum is for the dist vacuum can on the dist. If you are feeding the dist with a vacuum port that has constant vacuum at idle......then that is the stumble! switch them

I was able to get a vacuum reading from another location. After that I adjusted the Carb again and the hesitation is pretty much gone. :burnout: Thank you guys!

This thread is a perfect example of FABO helping,nice to see it's fixed.

-
Back