360 or 440 for my 1970 dart daily driver

-

1970boy

Reaction score
Hey guys jus need some opinions on what i should do with my car. I want a build that will have decent mileage and lots of power i will be street racing this car at stoplights and also doing canyon cruises. But i also want gobs of power on tap. Any suggestions? Mileage above 15?

Small block. I love the power of my big block but boy do they handle like crap with the heavy motor

I had this same question when I went to step up my game in my A-Body. I really gave the big block thoughts a truly serious amount of consideration ~ but in the end I could not get past the weight penalty. With what can be done so simply & easily these days with a small block I find the advantages "out-weigh" the disadvantages. I built my 360 into a stroker with big-block power and feather weight. Car feels great.

As for stoplight drags... I won't be hypocritical and say that is out of the question forever. A short zing next to a Vette, Camaro or Mustang is not unheard of. Just mind your manners & keep it sane is all we need to ask. Lets not assume we can change human nature.

Hey guys jus need some opinions on what i should do with my car. I want a build that will have decent mileage and lots of power i will be street racing this car at stoplights and also doing canyon cruises. But i also want gobs of power on tap. Any suggestions? Mileage above 15?

Here's a 413 and trans...1972 mopar 413 and 727

Kinda pricey, but an idea.

There is no way you will be able to get 15 mpg with a big block. Scientific fact, as an object approaches the speed of light it's mass increases. That goes double for the mass of your gas pedal foot in a Mopar with a big block.

Let's be honest with ourselves, you do NOT get a muscle car if you give a **** about gas mileage or global warming. If you do care about that crap, get a faggy little prius and go drink your lattes and your expensive bottled glacier water and feel superior to all of us unwashed, blue collar, plebians while you drive to your yoga pilates classes as you bemoan the fate of the People's Democratic Republic of Commiefornia under the Unjust and Evil Overlordship of President Elect Trump, and how he will set back the Righteous Cause of Saving the World from us lowly carbon burning cretins.

By the way, go to to the track to race. People drive their families about on public roads and it is very uncool to put others' lives and health at risk for your thrills.

As for stoplight drags... I won't be hypocritical and say that is out of the question forever. A short zing next to a Vette, Camaro or Mustang is not unheard of. Just mind your manners & keep it sane is all we need to ask. Lets not assume we can change human nature.
Agreed but if you look at the OP's profile page he's 16 and thinking out the wrong head

I love the small block in an A body. I do have a 400 in a Duster. Power wise, it is good, but I'm not so fond of the handling. It does still have iron heads, the rest is aluminum w/headers.

I would look at a 360 because the 340 is pricey just to obtain. It (360) has a longer stroke for torque and will make very close to the same HP a few hundred RPM's less.
A "RPM" top with a solid built flat top piston and 1-3/4 headers (or TTI's) are an excellent platform.

An overdrive trans is excellent for extra mileage. 4.10's (x .69 OD ratio MoPar ratio) = 2.829 final drive.

I (or we) could suggest a cam later when we know more.

As far as street racing goes, go for it with care. Back road and industrial parks at night. Far far away from the world. That's all I do is street race. There are no tracks close. All those above who trash it have cause but no right to talk down on it or to you in such a manor. I'm sure I'll catch heat for it.
Just use your head.

I love the small block in an A body. I do have a 400 in a Duster. Power wise, it is good, but I'm not so fond of the handling. It does still have iron heads, the rest is aluminum w/headers.

I would look at a 360 because the 340 is pricey just to obtain. It (360) has a longer stroke for torque and will make very close to the same HP a few hundred RPM's less.
A "RPM" top with a solid built flat top piston and 1-3/4 headers (or TTI's) are an excellent platform.

An overdrive trans is excellent for extra mileage. 4.10's (x .69 OD ratio MoPar ratio) = 2.829 final drive.

As far as street racing goes, go for it with care. Back road and industrial parks at night. Far far away from the world. That's all I do is street race. There are no tracks close. All those above who trash it have cause but no right to talk down on it or to you in such a manor. I'm sure I'll catch heat for it.
Just use your head.
I'll start the heat the two people killed for no reason were very close friends and well admired in the community and it happened on the "BACK ROAD" that you like to be a fool on I have seen this time and time again starting back when we were getting back from Vietnam with money to burn buying muscle cars for the thrill that needed filled personally knowing some that either killed themselves or others while "RACING" which I came close to doing myself wakes you up real quick back then was lots different because not near the amount of cars and the streets pretty well rolled up at night Don't get me wrong I like muscle as much as the other person BUT being that the OP is only 16 lacking the experience needed YOU are sending completely the wrong message and the only head a young man is thinking of using is the one between his legs

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the wisdom but im a very good driver for my age and have been driving since ive been physically able to im not jus some dumb 16 yr old trying to go fast without a care in the world. If im racing its in a more controlled envrironment. Not 2 in the afternoon on a busy street. Thats all im going to say about that. Not trying to be disrespectful in an manner whatsoever but i jus want some answers as far as what i should do to my car to make it reliable, fast , and make decent mileage

Hope you the best bad timing just don't get yourself in a situation that gets out of control - Go small block my combination is a mid range built 360 - Doug's headers - Fitech EFI - 833 manual 4 speed - 3:55 gears - HDK tubular K member with coil overs - Air Conditioning it's a fun car that does several thing very good nothings cheap to do took me many years to get this car where I like it -- doing and redoing -- good luck and I hope I made a point that sticks with you since you are wanting several things out of car that would cost a but load of money I would advise making the dart a good driver and getting a modern muscle for fun I really like the Mustangs

Last edited:
Hope you the best bad timing just don't get yourself in a situation that gets out of control - Go small block my combination is a mid range built 360 - Doug's headers - Fitech EFI - 833 manual 4 speed - 3:55 gears - HDK tubular K member with coil overs - Air Conditioning it's a fun car that does several thing very good nothings cheap to do took me many years to get this car where I like it -- doing and redoing -- good luck and I hope I made a point that sticks with you
Mileage wise what does this combo get you?

He said DD
gets good mileage
lots of power
wants to race
and offers 360/440
and he is the smartest, safest 16 yr old around.

Well you better be rich too, cuz the buy-in ain't cheap.
After you get the car,you still need to spend a wheelbarrow full of cash to hit targets like those and still share the road with all us fuddy-duddys.
You need a slanty, 4-wheel disc brakes, and a private acreage. Then you need about 4 years more driving experience.

After that, you need about $12000 to $16000 just to get started. This will get you a nice reliable,hi-torque, pump-gas,360, an O/D tranny and a rear end with big enough tires that the car won't spin out on every turn, with the tiniest bit too much pedal. It will also get you some key suspension pieces to help you be safe, and some decent brakes to stop you when you get into trouble.
And if you do it all just right, you can make 18mpg, or perhaps a little more.

You know slanty cars roll the same as V-8s,right? Maybe they just don't roll as many times.....and they are a wee bit harder to get air with.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
He said DD
gets good mileage
lots of power
wants to race
and offers 360/440
and he is the smartest, safest 16 yr old around.

Well you better be rich too, cuz the buy-in ain't cheap.
After you get the car,you still need to spend a wheelbarrow full of cash to hit targets like those and still share the road with all us fuddy-duddys.
You need a slanty, 4-wheel disc brakes, and a private acreage. Then you need about 4 years more driving experience.

After that, you need about $12000 to $16000 just to get started. This will get you a nice reliable,hi-torque, pump-gas,360, an O/D tranny and a rear end with big enough tires that the car won't spin out on every turn, with the tiniest bit too much pedal. It will also get you some key suspension pieces to help you be safe, and some decent brakes to stop you when you get into trouble.
And if you do it all just right, you can make 18mpg, or perhaps a little more.

You know slanty cars roll the same as V-8s,right? Maybe they just don't roll as many times.....and they are a wee bit harder to get air with.
This is the car the engine would be going into an ive had about 10 years of driving experience, the car already has the slant in it and ive been driving it that way for about 2 years

So you've been driving since age 6 then?
I guess in California the boys mature a little early then?
At age six, I couldn't see over the dash and work the pedals at the same time, and I would have barely had the strength to steer the car in a straight line.
So I'm glad my daddy did not encourage such a thing.

Last edited:
I'll start the heat the two people killed for no reason were very close friends and well admired in the community and it happened on the "BACK ROAD" that you like to be a fool on I have seen this time and time again starting back when we were getting back from Vietnam with money to burn buying muscle cars for the thrill that needed filled personally knowing some that either killed themselves or others while "RACING" which I came close to doing myself wakes you up real quick back then was lots different because not near the amount of cars and the streets pretty well rolled up at night Don't get me wrong I like muscle as much as the other person BUT being that the OP is only 16 lacking the experience needed YOU are sending completely the wrong message and the only head a young man is thinking of using is the one between his legs
Sorry to hear your pep's died. Perhaps the should have stayed home That night.
Race at your own risk period.
It's always a risk no matter where you are, road Or track, closed Or Open circuit. Even with the safety safari on hand.
People die at the track as well so don't cry me a river.
Racing is best done at the track, no doubt.

So you've been driving since age 6 then?
I guess in California the boys mature a little early then?
At age six, I couldn't see over the dash and work the pedals at the same time, and I would have barely had the strength to steer the car in a straight line.
So I'm glad my daddy did not encourage such a thing.
I have been driving since the age of six because my dad encouraged it and as a result i am a much better driver than my peers

View attachment 1715002558 View attachment 1715002558
This is the car the engine would be going into an ive had about 10 years of driving experience, the car already has the slant in it and ive been driving it that way for about 2 years
Very nice I see why you want to up the power of course I'm on the grumpy old man side of the life cycle but for me a well built 360 magnum that can handle some sort of power adder and high RPM's for those times you feel the need would be the way to go upgrade the suspension as much as possible for handling stop light to stop light gets old

Just use your head.

Well someone was honest lol..... Anyone who is 16 with a hot car can easily end up in a couple of rounds on the street. Make sure to thosethose that want to blast him that they maintain perfect driving techniques at all times with both hands on the wheel.... If not for losing a car to the Po-Po I would still do it.....

A small block will probably fit the bill for ya.... If I was your age again and had someone in my wheelhouse that understood Forced Induction I would have used anything from a 318 to a 360 and slapped a Turbo on it. Not as expensive to do as people think and even a small series turbo will make that car a bullet.... But you need someone who will show you the way with Fabrication and pass the Torch or so to speak....

Love the car OP. Be safe out there and good luck with it.....

JW

-
Back