360 parts interchangeability.

-

ClarkDart70

Street Machines Limited
Reaction score
Guys I have two la 360 blocks; one is a complete 1977 and the other a 1992 minus heads and intake. I see that the 92 has roller lifters; aside from the lifter difference, is there anything else that may be different that would effect part interchangeability? I'd like to run the 77 heads on the 92 block with a mild cam upgrade.Looking for a straight forward build for a street cruiser. Don't need high compression or neck breaking power. Just something reliable.

Thanks
Clark

As long as the 92 is a pre-magnum (I can't remember if 360's became magnum in 92 or 93), you're good. When you put it together, just make sure the pushrods don't rub on the heads with the rollers. You'll also need the pushrods for a roller cam engine.

Too bad you don't have the slightly better '92 heads.

If you do not know if it is a Magnum engine, look for the oiling hole in the block that feeds the heads like on the earlier LA block.

If you have the oiling hole in the block, you may use any head. If it is a Magnum block (No oiling hole in the block) then you need to oil the rockers through the lifters/pushrods or just use a Magnum head. Failure to oil a LA heads rockers will, well,, you know.

Use the AMC lifter to oil through the hollow pushrods.

Everything I've read says the 360 was an la until 93; the 318 was a magnum in 92. I have it partially tore down and everything looks La to me so far.I agree about the newer heads but the po took them off and put them on his 318. I can't complain I got this for free. Ill tear down the 77 engine next weekend and start to check it out too.
The 92 block has some pitting in two cylinders.... It might need bored.

Some of the early magnum blocks had oiling for la rockers, the block I have(magnum)was
cast in June of 92

-
Back