360 questions

-

HemiEd

Reaction score
Ok you 360 experts, I need some help again.
The machine shop just called and told me that the block needs to go .060. He said the cylinders were cone shaped.I don't want to do that, so I started shopping for a used motor.

Well that is quite an experience! My question is, I just may go magnum, heck, why not?
What year did they quit putting both motor mount provisions on? I know my 90 3.9 only had the later style IIRC, or maybe both, heck I can't remember.

Could I put a 2000 360 in there without too much trouble? Of course I would put a four barrel, and distributor in it. What else? This is going in my 68, with a 727 etc.

What year would you pick?

Thanks in advance for the help!

got a 360 .060 that runs up and down the track for several years now....

1971-1973 360 blocks can go .060 over, I have a 72 block that's .060 over. If it's not a 71-73 block, try looking for a 87-90 360 truck motor, they have a roller cam, and oil through the head. Good Luck!

got a 360 .060 that runs up and down the track for several years now....
I wouldn't hesitate for that application, but I am building a "pooch" street motor that I want to be able to drive anywhere. No point in starting out at .060 if there are so many 360s around IMO.
1971-1973 360 blocks can go .060 over, I have a 72 block that's .060 over. If it's not a 71-73 block, try looking for a 87-90 360 truck motor, they have a roller cam, and oil through the head. Good Luck!
I forgot which years those were, thanks! How about the motor mount provisions on the block?

have the block sonic tested........

I asked them, and he told me it was a pretty expensive job for them to do. (I don't think he really wants to) So I just told them to hold off I will look for another one.

lol....cone shaped. !!! That is a machinist motto....to help seperate you from some greenbacks. You unknownistly believe that? .060" is quite a bit....but do not be discouraged. Are you friends with the guy? Ask him to mic at least ( 1 ) bore , top middle and bottom in front of you showing you the taper/wear. Originally 360's have a 4.00000 bore as cast/machined....all the way up and down the cylinders. If he can show you 4.019/4.029/4.039 variance anywhere in the bore, OR they have excessive rust, like the block has been sitting on the side of a metal shed with no intake or heads on.....I wouldn't believe that Machinist Lingo for a second.

I have torn down 200,000 mile small blocks with very little sludge, bore ridge, lack of crosshatch, or bearing wear....and yet again I have tore down 100,000 mile small blocks that have carbon/oil sludge deposits so deep you have to chisel them off....oil pick up screens partially clogged with RTV...wonder they even ran engines.

Do you have a camera? I would like to see some "Needing to be Bored .060" bores.

Anywho good luck...you have the right idea......its the 88-91 LA Roller Cam 360 you want....but I think you need a better machinist to begin with.

I am still ROFLMAO about the "Cone Shaped"

Ask your machinist if they can align-hone and square deck the block for you, any block, if he says no find another shop to work with

Besides, for a "pooch" street motor why would it matter if it went .060 over? You are going to be buying new pistons anyway...

BTW, what did he say about your rods and crank? Those need to be good regardless of the bores

lol....cone shaped. !!! That is a machinist motto....to help seperate you from some greenbacks. You unknownistly believe that? .060" is quite a bit....but do not be discouraged. Are you friends with the guy? Ask him to mic at least ( 1 ) bore , top middle and bottom in front of you showing you the taper/wear. Originally 360's have a 4.00000 bore as cast/machined....all the way up and down the cylinders. If he can show you 4.019/4.029/4.039 variance anywhere in the bore, OR they have excessive rust, like the block has been sitting on the side of a metal shed with no intake or heads on.....I wouldn't believe that Machinist Lingo for a second.

I have torn down 200,000 mile small blocks with very little sludge, bore ridge, lack of crosshatch, or bearing wear....and yet again I have tore down 100,000 mile small blocks that have carbon/oil sludge deposits so deep you have to chisel them off....oil pick up screens partially clogged with RTV...wonder they even ran engines.

Do you have a camera? I would like to see some "Needing to be Bored .060" bores.

Anywho good luck...you have the right idea......its the 88-91 LA Roller Cam 360 you want....but I think you need a better machinist to begin with.

I am still ROFLMAO about the "Cone Shaped"

Hmmm, good food for thought there. This motor has been setting around, disassembled for quite some time, not sure how long though.

I am kind of friendly with them, and have done a few motors with them, so I do represent $$ to them.
Most recently, in 2007 I was not happy when I picked up the heads for my Dad's 340, that were on me. They had told me $300, and when I got there it was over $400. They dropped it down to the $300, but wanted to make sure I would be back. That is kind of a hot button with me, all the way back to my drag racing days. Machine shops have always nailed me for $400+ on heads, no matter what you do.

They have done outstanding work for me in the past, huge shop that can do everything.

Ask your machinist if they can align-hone and square deck the block for you, any block, if he says no find another shop to work with

Besides, for a "pooch" street motor why would it matter if it went .060 over? You are going to be buying new pistons anyway...

BTW, what did he say about your rods and crank? Those need to be good regardless of the bores

All good questions, yes they can do all of that, and I had them do it on my 340.

I told them when I dropped it off, if it needed bored, that I was not going to be buying any stock stroke pistons. I would be going a total different direction, with a 4 inch crank.

So, I am not really excited about .060 on a motor I am going to invest that kind of money into, with 360 blocks being so common. I know on 340s that I have punched .060 in the past, they have had a tendency to run on the warm side.

I like the idea of the roller cam blocks anyway, but would have preferred to work with what I have.

I didn't even take them the rods, pistons, or heads. Just the block and crank. Once they determined the blocks fate, they didn't bother with the crank, due to what I had told them.

This motor was already apart when I got it, and the old bearings were 10/10, with ZERO wear on the bearings. So I am pretty confident it was rebuilt before, and the rebuilder screwed something up, and it wasn't used. It is a 78 casting.

hemied - I am not sure how much $ you have into the current block, but stopping now will surely be cheaper than going forward especially if you are not happy now, making it more expensive doesn't usually make it better, as you already know.

The experience you shared with the your shop may be typical, but I abhor that kind of customer service; as if we have no where else to go. Luckily I have many shops to choose from in the metro LA area but I only use 1 or 2 places for most things, not hot rod huts, but real engine machine shops, and I prefer the local mom and pops to the mega shops. I usually pre-negotiate ALL machine work with the understanding that if something goes sideways, they call me before going deeper in without my approval - just like I do with MY clients - because I don't like spending other folks $ if they are not on board only to have an upset customer when the bill comes.

Anyhow, that's my $0.02, and since 360 blocks are garden-variety you should probably just go get a fresher one and save yourself some shop time (read $) and piece of mind.

octanejunky, you and I are in total agreement. I have my people practically kiss our customer's rears. We are in manufacturing, competing with China, and business has been tough for quite a while.

I transplanted up here to the Chicago area from Wichita, Kansas 13 years ago where I had 3 great machine shops, I worked with on a pretty regular basis. Two of the owners were good friends of mine.

This is the third one I have worked with up here, as the one I preferred, moved 60 miles west a few years ago and I lost track of him.

Having built a lot of motors over the years, I have grown to deplore and to love machine shops.

I put a stop on that motor, and will probably just let them have it as a core.

I may have found a 91, that is in pretty good shape. I am going to check on it tomorrow. Thanks to every one in this thread, this 360 thing is something new to me.

-
Back