360 small block swap to 383 big block

-

Dustya_318

Reaction score
i want to do this swap in a74 duster other than motor mounts wat other concerns should i have. .as far as fitting the motor goes. . ? i have power steering would i have to go manual , willl headers fit or would i have to keep stock manifolds or ould i go shorty headers? also pan clearance?

Where do I start!!
Schumacher mounts are the way to go. Even stock manifolds are a Royal Pain in the A$$ and changing plugs is a joke!... Cheapest headers that i have found are from T.T.I. and i think they start around $600. These are the only ones that REALLY fit!! Almost possitive that you will loose powersteering. My 68 Cuda has maybe 1/8th inch clearance from steering shaft to manifold. Better off sticking with a small block and throw a 67mm turbo on it @ 20lbs boost.. 9.90 streetcar that will get 18mpg... I'm tempted to pull the 440 out of mine and drop a 6.1 Hemi with a 6spd in it! That is unless you want to spend $3200 for an AlterKtion front-end kit.

les see...

the mounts are easy whatever way you want to go. schumachers or make your own DC k-member

headers are a big decision. schumachers are the best fitting ones that i know of. plugs are easy to get to and they fit nice. they are a smaller tri-Y design. but guys are in the 11's with them

not sure about power steering with schmacher headers but it did fit with a 440 and pro parts headers on a 73 duster we did.

you need to gather your 383 pulleys

you need a big block trans. if you have a 727 now the drive shaft will be ok but if ya have a 904 the shaft will have to be cut down about 3 3/4" i believe it is.

i would reccomend some big block torsion bars. i assume it already has disc. brakes. if not i would put them on also.

other then that its a bolt in deal. in my experience the big block is actually easier to work on then an a-body with a small block in it.

oh the oil pan. the c-body pan with the notch is the one to use.

damn. can't remember the number for some reason.. it has a notch cut out of it where the steering would go..

here ya go,,,

Oil Pans

* The most recommended factory pan is the 67-up C-body pan. It has a stamping of #699 or #187. This pan has a notch in it for idler arm clearance, which can be a slight problem in the a-bodies.
* The standard street Hemi/440 HP pan works, as well as the deep pans that are offered by most aftermarket companies. A possible exception MIGHT be custom made deep pans. The standard pans with a deeper sump all work ok...MP, Moroso,Milodon...

Start by going to the Big Block A body Tech forum and you'll find that this question has been answered on more than one occasion. Yes, with a 383 you can keep your power steering and power brakes with the Schmachers or TTI's. Schmacher fit the easiest but are a little more restrictive than TTI's but unless you're looking at over 500HP I doubt you'll see a diference. Factory drivers side manifold is tight but can be ground a little and heat shield for master cylinder, 3 core rad or big assed 2 core aluminum, .890" torsion bars, 8 3/4" rear with snubber, new drive shaft or shorten yours, 727 tranny, trans cooler, the oil pan as mentioned above and neither will come (at least almost never) with a acceleration or decel baffles which you'll need, forget linkage and go with cables for kickdown and throttle, Schmacher engine mounts and torque rod. I'm sure I missed something but you get the picture.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/

Then under the hood will look something like this. Have Fun

Terry

6 (Small).JPG

-
Back