360 to 904 sorry confused

-

mudpup226

Reaction score
I don't post much but I need help. I have a '74 dart swinger 318/904 tranny . I have searched and only get confused with the flex plate. Yes, I know it has to be balanced. I have a 2002 magnum 360 300hp crate motor still in the crate. I want to put it... guess where... yes, my swinger. :burnout:
From what I have searched there is only one flex plate that fits this motor and is no longer made by B&M. Do I look for a 727 or find the correct flex plate and torque converter? Sorry for asking this ? again. I know it's been talked about at times but I am looking for more details. Thanks for your help.

Make: DODGE
Beginning Year: 1970
Ending Year: 1991
Engine Type: V8
Liter: 5.9
CID: 360
Engine Size: 5.9L/360
Engine Family: Mopar small block LA
Transmission Type: Torqueflite A-904
Converter Bolt Pattern: 10.000 in.
Crankshaft to Flywheel Attachment: 6-bolt

Does not work on a Magnum engine...Magnum 360 uses less weight then a LA 360...

supposedly you use can use a flexplate from a magnum 360...just need to oblong one of bolt holes on the converter part of the flexplate..with the LA 360 flexplate/converter mounts one is offset...with the Magnum 360 the flexplate/converter mount is symmetrical since .the magnum had their balance weights on the flexplate..

Make: DODGE
Beginning Year: 1970
Ending Year: 1991
Engine Type: V8
Liter: 5.9
CID: 360
Engine Size: 5.9L/360
Engine Family: Mopar small block LA
Transmission Type: Torqueflite A-904
Converter Bolt Pattern: 10.000 in.
Crankshaft to Flywheel Attachment: 6-bolt

Does not work on a Magnum engine...Magnum 360 uses less weight then a LA 360...

supposedly you use can use a flexplate from a magnum 360...just need to oblong one of bolt holes on the converter part of the flexplate..with the LA 360 flexplate/converter mounts one is offset...with the Magnum 360 the flexplate/converter mount is symmetrical since .the magnum had their balance weights on the flexplate..

70aar is correct. Your magnum 360 and that summit product will not work. I just did your same conversion on my Barracuda. Use a flex plate from any 360 magnum and as aar stated you will have to elongate one bolt hole and it works great.

There's also an "early Magnum" kit that is basically some weights to weld on the torque converter - the now-defunct B&M piece is sometimes on eBay, the weld on weights are sometimes on ebay, or at a Dodge dealership that still has a parts counter that is functional.

I will vouch for the totally stock Magnum 360 flex plate that came with the hundred billion ugly (post-93 mine was a 96, look for weights near the inside edge of the tone ring) trucks that had the 5.9 in em'. They need one hole ovaled, and the tone ring totally clears the stock 904 torque converter. Or you can have that cut off if you're worried about it.

im using a 97 flexplate (balanced) and have heard the earlier magnums have a balanced converter instead of the flexplate.
b&m part: discontinued
mopar balance template and weight kit:suposedly discontinued but chicago connection has them...but mine came with NO TEMPLATE...thats when i bought the $20 junkyard 97 flexplate.
my only other concern is the original 318 converter obviously uses smaller bolts than the magnum (mine anyway). the converter bolts are loose in the flexplate hole.not sure if this is gonna be a problem...anybody know?

don't know why that part was discontinued,i would think just fabo members could support that part being made.**** on my cast crank 440 they sent me the wrong one.didnt want to wait for the correct one so i took a friends with the cutaway laid it on top of mine and cut it out with a plasma cutter.it worked.just a thought....

im using a 97 flexplate (balanced) and have heard the earlier magnums have a balanced converter instead of the flexplate.
b&m part: discontinued
mopar balance template and weight kit:suposedly discontinued but chicago connection has them...but mine came with NO TEMPLATE...thats when i bought the $20 junkyard 97 flexplate.
my only other concern is the original 318 converter obviously uses smaller bolts than the magnum (mine anyway). the converter bolts are loose in the flexplate hole.not sure if this is gonna be a problem...anybody know?

I was concerned about that too when I ran the old 904. When I installed the converter I used red Loctite on the bolts and checked it often for the first couple thousand miles, but they never loosened. They were still tight when I pulled the trans to do the 2004r swap. I'd still keep an eye on it, but that was my experience.

-
Back