360 truck swap in 65 dart?

-

son7771

Reaction score
I tried searching on here but oil pan doesnt work!!?? I need to know what pan works best in this early a body? Its just a street driving car with no performance updates yet. I may put magnum heads on later but it is mainly for the wife to drive for now. 1965 dart gt convertable Thanks

Get a 273 oil pan from 65/66 smallblock. It can be swapped easily and will make it for you. You might change the pickup on the oil pump as well. Good luck.

Get a 273 oil pan from 65/66 smallblock..

...........uh,...............WRONG

Rear "half moon" of 360 pan is different from 273/318/340 up into "late?" magnum engines

Be aware there is discussion going on (Google/ search here) that some pans and some oil pumps do not play well together.

I'm currently arguing with a chrome aftermarket pan that won't fit the pumps I have. at least two of these pumps have the flathead cover screws, and hit the rear/ top of the pan.

Also, you'll need correct engine mount brackets. If your present engine is a V8, you can use the current transmission (Torqueflite?) IF you use a "weighted" converter, that is, one balanced for the 360, or buy an aftermarket (B&M, etc) "weighted" flex plate. I BELIEVE you can shim/ modify the left side engine bracket to fit. If you have a /6 you'll need a matching transmission/ or bell for stick.

I believe that you need a car pan from a 360 motor to replace the truck pan, and the corresponding pickup tube as well. Geof

I have seen that in the 67 on up you can use a car pan but i didnt know if the 64-66 dart are different. So i can use a 360 pan and pickup for a 69 dart 360? Thanks It was a 273 V8 and i have modified the motor mounts already.

im using one of these pans right now..fit well went together well with a melling h/v pump...its not in the car now,but was...i ran it for an hour on a stand and everything went well..j

If your trans is a pre '68 unit you'll need a bushing for the converter snout in the crank hub plus the weighted 360 flex plate if its an auto. If its a stick you'll need a 360 car flywheel, the truck flywheel will be too big.

im using one of these pans right now..fit well went together well with a melling h/v pump...its not in the car now,but was...i ran it for an hour on a stand and everything went well..j

Was your 360 in an early A body like the OP is planning? Just wondering because a lot of times the earlier cars have clearance problems due to the shape of the K frame.

-
Back