360 water passageways

-

ratty dart 340

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was installing my rpm air gap intake on my LA 360 and I noticed that there is no where for water to flow through the intake from the head on the back. Is this ok? Does it need to be blocked or something?

image.jpg

Here is a pic of the water jacket on the back of the heads.
image.jpg

Here is a pic of the intake. There is no where for water to flow on the intake.

I am replacing the new intake gaskets with other brand new gaskets because water was leaking from said water passages.
image.jpg

Do I just need to use more rtv or a faulty gasket?

Any help would be amazing. Thank you.

The passages to the rear aren't part of the coolant flow pattern, those ports get blocked off by the manifold. The only reason they're there is to make the heads interchangeable from side to side.
The only coolant flow in the manifold is in the front for the thermostat.

The passages to the rear aren't part of the coolant flow pattern, those ports get blocked off by the manifold. The only reason they're there is to make the heads interchangeable from side to side.
The only coolant flow in the manifold is in the front for the thermostat.
Okay makes sense. Thanks very much.

I am pretty sure red sealent is high temp, (red-hot) I would be using black or gray there. Use the fancy cap and run a small bead around both sides of the gasket port. Don't smear it flat with your fingers... let the head and manifold do that for you.

As said....no coolant through the back.

The idea is ..coolant flow into front of block.. through block to rear of block and up to the heads and through to the front and through the cross over and out the top hose/thermostat housing.

An upward u turn with a few smaller passages along the way to cool the hot spots... but not big enough to disrupt the flow through to the back, up forward and out the front of the heads.
Black, grey rtv is to be used...or copper if that's all you have.
Red/copper is for Exhaust. Blue is useless..."for water pumps" I use black or grey on everything and copper on header gaskets. If I'm feeling fancy I'll use some permatack or gasketcinch...even copper coat for reusing cometics/mls

The Permatex Ultra Grey high strength is the best I’ve ever used for coolant passages (Or for anything this side of exhaust for that matter!). The caulking gun tubes are your best friend if you do very many engine jobs. Th applicator tube caps off well with the plastic conical cap off of a gear oil bottle until the next time you need it. The only exception I have seen to the rear water ports being used is the factory LA TBI manifold has a labyrinth of water passages that run underneath from the rear to the thermostat housing for manifold heat. My guess is to help meet emissions compliance at the time. I do know it makes for a great big heavy chunk of cast iron intake, for sure!

Last edited:
-
Back