360 with 350-400hp, 6,000 RPM- what does it take?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Based on previous advice, I'm having my 904 built and I have a prospect for a 8.25" axle...my goal is a reliable 12.9 car...

This forum has been a great help so far...but since I'm getting a bit more specific/realistic with my goals so opinions would be very welcome.

So how would you pick a motor and what would it take to hit these numbers (350-400hp, ~6,000 RPM)?

Is there a best year/version of the 360 to start with? Any years/versions of the 360 to avoid as a starting point?

Thanks a million for your opinion/insight.
-Mike

No 360 is really better then another. The long blocks are all pretty much the same. Later LA 360 had Hyd roller cams. Some guys are getting good results out of 5.9L Magnums.

High 12s shouldnt be to hard. Get the compression up a good cam, intake and carb and some headers. Make sure you have enough gear.

No 360 is really better then another. The long blocks are all pretty much the same. Later LA 360 had Hyd roller cams. Some guys are getting good results out of 5.9L Magnums.

High 12s shouldnt be to hard. Get the compression up a good cam, intake and carb and some headers. Make sure you have enough gear.

Thanks, Adam! Great info.
Do you know what year LAs had the roller cams?

A 5.9L Magnum is certainly a possibility...is it right that you can bolt up a carb manifold and drop one right in (same engine mounts/compatible with the torqueflight transmissions)?

Im not sure what years the 360 had the roller cams. I would say mid late 80s till 94 when the Mag. came out. The Magnums use a different intake so you either have to get the correct one or redrill the heads to use the LA intake.

The issue with Magnums is that the heads are always cracked. It doesnt seem to cause a problem but Im not sure I would put money into a motor with cracked heads. You can get EQ Magnum heads that are already drilled for the LA intake for around $800 LA motor mounts and trans bolt right up..

Thanks again. I recall people talking about the "beer barrel" EFI intakes on the Magnums not fitting with the hood clearance but I'd definitely stay carb'd anyway...and IIRC the crate motor manifolds aren't too hard to find.

The cracked head thing is interesting...I seem to also recall that they can't be bored more than .040 so high mileage motors should be avoided...is that right?

BTW, I see that you're in CT too...are you in the Mopars in Motion club? I know some of those guys from hanging out at Burger King on the 'Pike in the summer. A great group of folks!

keep it simple and stick with the carb. Im not sure if the stock efi intake flows enough for 12s and 6000rpms. The M1 single and dual planes are available (at least used) but I would stick with the RPM air gap. If the motor was taken care off there shouldnt be to much bore wear, I believe they had moly rings from the factory.

Im on the other side of the state close to the NY line. Ive met a few guys from the clubs before but havent made it to any shows.

Excellent... So I'm setting my sights on a late roller 360 or a Magnum.

The RPM Airgap manifolds seem to be pretty affordable on Summit...so that's a great tip too.

Thanks again for all of your help.

If you're ever up for a ride to the Berlin Turnpike in on a Saturday/Summer evening, there's always a great Mopar turn out at Burger King. It's about an hour drive for you...but that's about how far away I am too since I live on the MA border. There's always a lot of great looking iron out on the street. The Pike has been a hot rod hang out since the 60's at least.

Mr X. - A little trivia - A friend and I started Mopars in Motion back in 1996. I actually wrrote Chrysler for the trademark permission and was treasurer for the first couple years. There were 8 of us i I recall right. Ralph Barbagallo runs the Burger King cruises and was one of the earliest members. I'm not sure who the president is at this point - I havent had much "car time" over the past few years so I've lost touch with many of them.

Aon the engine - the roller LA 360s are in 89-91 trucks just as AAR says. Your cheapest bet is the 5.9 magnums which are easy to find and make about 300hp with no changes other than the carb and intake. However - there will be a couple other things you need: The 5.9 Magnum flexplate, the Hughes camshaft extension to run a fuel pump, and an LA timing cover (for the fuel pump mounting), and the 360 type oil pan for a passenger car.

-
Back