360 with the 509 cam

-
I have run a 236/236-.497/.497 with Rhoads lifters before. It helped alot with the low end torque in order to get'er movin off the line.Which was not the primary concern of the vehicle at the time. Being that it was (the car) mostly being driven in a RPM range on the Hwy.

I liked how it performed on the Hwy. but, that low end was a little lacking. The car would see about 15 - 20 minutes of traffice until the road opened up. (Then itwas about 40 miles of runnin at speed.) The combo could have used more stall than the factory HI stall unit delivered and more gear than the 3.55's it had would have been nicer. But money I didn't have.

The lifters helped bridged the gap.

A 509 in a 8.5 360. A stock stout LA 2bbl motor will smoke that thing. I don't understand why everyone wants their car to sound cammed even if it hurts performance. A motor should be planned when built . You don't start with a cam and go from there. On the bottom lucky if that motor has 7.5 -1 when calulating the over lap with that low compression motor. Steve

This has nothing to do with sound. Although I live the bumpity bump. I just have a really good 360 and I have that cam. I also have a '71 Dart. I not gonna put a round peg in a square hole tho. If I was I wouldn't have come on and asked everybody. I do appreicate everyones input and thankful I didn't get flammed for my question.
I just wanna get out there and have some fun. Motor is still together and cam is still on shelf. Hell I could just run the 2 barrel thats on there now. Well I had planned on doing this step by step just to see results. I also wanted to do this on the Cheap with what I have.
Although I do have a better Chevy motor, i guess I could put that round peg in a square hole! Mike

i checked the compression
4.00 bore
3.58 stroke
flat top ?
76cc head
.020 gasket
.100 piston to deck
8.3-1

i say put a four barrel on it and enjoy this years racing!

This has nothing to do with sound. Although I live the bumpity bump. I just have a really good 360 and I have that cam. I also have a '71 Dart. I not gonna put a round peg in a square hole tho. If I was I wouldn't have come on and asked everybody. I do appreicate everyones input and thankful I didn't get flammed for my question.
I just wanna get out there and have some fun. Motor is still together and cam is still on shelf. Hell I could just run the 2 barrel thats on there now. Well I had planned on doing this step by step just to see results. I also wanted to do this on the Cheap with what I have.
Although I do have a better Chevy motor, i guess I could put that round peg in a square hole! Mike

Mike, If you really are leaning towards the .509 then install it, I love that cam myself, but compression is key thats all, Install it, advance the crap out it like mention 100-102*, Get a good ignition system with a dist. that has an easy mech. curve adj, Hot spark like an MSD or Mallory box, put as much int. timing as possible, get the propper springs, good exhaust, gear & converter, then it should rock pretty good, I'll bet if you do these things & run a 4.30-4.56 gear & at least a 4200 stall it'll run really good for little too now compression. Otherwize, get a milder cam & go that route.

I'm sure you want it to run good, I'll garuantee you'll "love" the sound, no question there, Its just that you'll need to do the other stuff to really benifit from that cam, especially with lower compression. :hello2:

If you are dead set on a MP cam. The 484 108LSA cam would work better, still installed the same 100-102 and maybe only lose to the 509 cam in the last 300 of RPM range. it would run much better down low.

Maybe someone would trade straight up, new for new if that's what you have.
Agreed. Budy of mine insisted in the mp .509 in his 8.5:1 340. Installed it @ 108 and holy dog. Sounded nasty, but literly could not even power break the thing w 3:55s and 14s. I redegreed the cam @ 102 because i knew he was lacking cylinder pressure. It will at least spin the 14 inch tires now, but is not very impressive.

-
Back