360 with the 509 cam

-

voodoo1

Reaction score
I have a 1977 360, it has the 596 heads. Motor is stock, low miles. I have the purple 509 cam. Do I need to change valve springs or can I leave the stock ones for now? Thanks, Mike

yes I ran that cam with a set of kmotion springs from them or jegs,cant remember which.

Voodoo1, you can get the matched springs from Summit/Jegs or even your local MoPar dealer.

A stock low compression 360 w/ a .509 is going to be a dog. 8.5:1 is not enough compression for that cam

Is this the MP .509 ? If so, the Dur. on that cam is in the 240s @50, thats alot of Dur. for a stock 77 360, The real compression is less then 8.5, more like 8.2.1, I don't think you could advance it enough to make it work good Unless you install a steep gear like 4.30-4.56 & a 3800-4200 stall, If you plan on a basic cruiser, put the .509 on the shelf & look at something milder, alot milder LOL.

I have a 1977 360, it has the 596 heads. Motor is stock, low miles. I have the purple 509 cam. Do I need to change valve springs or can I leave the stock ones for now? Thanks, Mike

You should look at the Whiplash Cam from Hughes....It's made for low comp stock type engines.....Has a nasty idle to it....From the video they have it performs pretty well in the guys stock 340.....

You should look at the Whiplash Cam from Hughes....It's made for low comp stock type engines.....Has a nasty idle to it....From the video they have it performs pretty well in the guys stock 340.....

I agree, heard good things about those cams in low compression engines, The MP .509 just has too much overlap & dur., Not that you can't make it work, But IMO, you'd be better off & much happier with a cam designed for lower compression.

I say use it if it's what you already have.....BUT, be advised, as already said, that camshaft is huge. It will not have the bottom end it could with a different cam. But take crackedback's advice on the CL install. That will help it get some low end torque back. I had that same cam in a blueprinted 12.5:1 360 and honestly, it was a little big I felt like. That has 248.5* of duration @.050". It's a whopper. One thing's for sure, it's gonna sound good as all hell.

if you do use it with your current combo its going to foul plugs so put hotter plugs in it that will help keep it alive. i put one in a stock 70 340 witch is supposed to have 10.5 and i couldn't even get it to ping on reg gas it kills the compression

Ok I hear what you guys are saying. This cam and motor will be in a '71 Dart that will see limited street, but more track time. Just putting it together to get on track this year and do more to motor over winter. so i'm using parts I already have hoping to spend less money. Mike.

well back to the original question as already mentioned you have to replace the springs, the cam will coil bind the stock springs and break stuff

Yeah, I hear you man. Use it then. It'll work out. You can tune the plug foulin out of it. Once you get it all worked out, it'll probably run better than you think. Specially if you stab it in like crackedback said and run a good hot curve in the distributor. That motor's gonna like a heap of timing.

I was just looking at the specs for that cam. It is a 292 duration, 509, with a 75 overlap. Mike

The revised MP 509 cam is much better on the street and has a lot more bottom end power. It is set on a 114lsa vs the old 108lsa. But if your racing, this cam will make your 360 have some good top end power and pull hard to 6700rpm or so.

The revised MP 509 cam is much better on the street and has a lot more bottom end power. It is set on a 114lsa vs the old 108lsa. But if your racing, this cam will make your 360 have some good top end power and pull hard to 6700rpm or so.

X's2! Yep!

I looked all over the net and didn't find it in stock anywhere.

well...sometimes...people ask questions...and they already know the answer....have not see it available for some time..

-
Back