360 ???

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does a 360 use the oil slinger on the crank between the gear and cover ? Just making sure. CRS
Thanks in advance

yes and thanks for reminding Me , think I left mine off dammit.Think I might be needing a new timing cover gasket .

Last edited:
I think early sb's didn't use them but later ones did. I am sure someone will correct me. Either way it doesnt seem to make much of a difference if you leave the slinger out.

I'm just here to learn something new!
Lol
Well then you can get by without one on a small block as long as the balancer isn't worn at the seal contact area and the seal Obviously good ... but you do not want to forget one on a slant six because it will blow oil out the front seal.

Make sure you have the balancer installed when tightening the chain cover. Helps a lot.

Lol
Well then you can get by without one on a small block as long as the balancer isn't worn at the seal contact area and the seal Obviously good ... but you do not want to forget one on a slant six because it will blow oil out the front seal.

The oil slinger is not to prevent oil leaks at the seal, but to sling oil onto the timing chain to help keep it lubed up and reduce wear/stretch...

The oil slinger is not to prevent oil leaks at the seal, but to sling oil onto the timing chain to help keep it lubed up and reduce wear/stretch...

I wasnt debating its function "slinging oil" lol.. just pointing out a bi product of its absence on a leaning slant six. It blocks direct splash too.

I think early sb's didn't use them but later ones did. I am sure someone will correct me. Either way it doesnt seem to make much of a difference if you leave the slinger out.
If you think about the Slinger, well...
I have heard people say when tearing into a 273 or poly they didnt have one, now then there are those who forget them or choose not to use them.... then there is that bolt up top that drips oil...and that drip plate...some having it while others didn't as well.. You dont need this and that, but they can help... because think about it every time you slow down, brake...some oil rushes up to the crank gear from what's flung off the crank and running back through the valley drain backs, ...and general 'windage'. The slinger more so holds the oil that hits it and kinda captures it like a barrier/catcher, holding more oil for the front gear and chain to carry up 'to draw like a convayer belt' up to the cam gear. The chain is moving the oil mostly.

I run a bolt/w hole on the cam plate and a slinger in the 410, no director plate. My 340 uses a tensioner, it has the drip/oil director built in and a slinger down low.

No diff.

It doesnt hurt...but consider they were trying to stretch the life of a 'silent chain' with all those oiling tricks and NOT a sturdy roller chain like we replace them with.

Last edited:
If you think about the Slinger, well...
I have heard people say when tearing into a 273 or poly they didnt have one, now then there are those who forget them or choose not to use them.... then there is that bolt up top that drips oil...and that drip plate...some having it while others didn't as well.. You dont need this and that, but they can help... because think about it every time you slow down, brake...some oil rushes up to the crank gear from what's flung off the crank and running back through the valley drain backs, ...and general 'windage'. The slinger more so holds the oil that hits it and kinda captures it like a barrier/catcher, holding more oil for the front gear and chain to carry up 'to draw like a convayer belt' up to the cam gear. The chain is moving the oil mostly.

I run a bolt/w hole on the cam plate and a slinger in the 410, no director plate. My 340 uses a tensioner, it has the drip/oil director built in and a slinger down low.

No diff.

It doesnt hurt...but consider they were trying to stretch the life of a 'silent chain' with all those oiling tricks and NOT a sturdy roller chain like we replace them with.

I use the drip tab and oil slinger on all my sb builds... :D

It's better to over lube than to under lube.... :D ---> (That's what she said.... :D)

-
Back