360LA build

-

iknownothing

Reaction score
I have many questions regarding my first true engine build.
Reman assembled 360LA was my starting point. I installed high rise dual plane intake, rebuilt 4bbl Holley 4610, shorty headers, double roller timing chain, Hugh’s Street Force 3 flat tappet cam, 2,400 converter.
My question is, I measured intake valves on the heads I was given and seems like they are 1.88. I don’t know what that means they came off of. They are currently bolted to the motor so what would be my best option for valve springs. I’m on a budget but will buy what I need. I don’t want to machine heads to fit valve springs. Cam says 0.465 int./0.470 exh. On factory rocker arms. I’m using factory stamped rockers and arm etc. Would 340 replacement springs be best and I assume fit? Any ideas? Also, any tips or tricks or anything like that would be appreciated. Even if it doesn’t involve this

Hugh's should be able to tell you exactly what spring specs you need for their cam.

I have many questions regarding my first true engine build.
Reman assembled 360LA was my starting point. I installed high rise dual plane intake, rebuilt 4bbl Holley 4610, shorty headers, double roller timing chain, Hugh’s Street Force 3 flat tappet cam, 2,400 converter.
My question is, I measured intake valves on the heads I was given and seems like they are 1.88. I don’t know what that means they came off of. They are currently bolted to the motor so what would be my best option for valve springs. I’m on a budget but will buy what I need. I don’t want to machine heads to fit valve springs. Cam says 0.465 int./0.470 exh. On factory rocker arms. I’m using factory stamped rockers and arm etc. Would 340 replacement springs be best and I assume fit? Any ideas? Also, any tips or tricks or anything like that would be appreciated. Even if it doesn’t involve this
I did exactly what you are doing now with a Chevy 327 about 35 years ago. I did a frame off restoration on a 65 Corvette roadster (still kicking myself for selling that), and I needed an engine. I found a local engine rebuilding facility that had a date correct 327 in stock. I bought it outright. The guy gave me a quick tour of their facility, and it looked like they turned out quality stuff. Anyway, I put in a mild performance cam, and it ran great. So your base engine will probably be fine.
Here is my recommendation on your heads. @67/6barracuda has good guidance when he says to lap the valves and run with the heads. However, I did not see what your HP and use goals were. Although you can use the small valve heads, personally, I would have 2.02 valves put in while the heads are off if possible. I know that the J heads can take 2.02 valves, but I don't know if all 360 heads can. That is just my preference. 2.02 heads will breathe better and give you a little more performance potential. If your budget will allow it, I'd go for the bigger valves.

You could also enter the 21st century & use beehive springs. They require less tension, so your cam/lifters will last longer. To select the correct BH spring, you reduce the seat tension and the spring rate by 10-15% from the recommended parallel spring rating.

-
Back