383 2" headers

-

02sixxer

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my fender well headers, I want to use TTi's. Their website states that the 2" headers wont fit a low deck B series block on an A body with OEM heads. Is anyone using the TTi 2" headers with stock heads. I have 915 heads on a 383 and looking to find non fender well 2" headers.

I checked Big Block Dart and a few people stated they used 2" TTi headers on a 383 but did not state the heads they had. I thought that 440 Source Stealth Heads were very similar to stock heads and the stealth heads can be used with the TTi 2" on a low deck block.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

I have them on my Barracuda with factory heads:
paulscar011.jpg
paulscar009.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg
They touch the block/bellhousing area lightly on the passenger side, not enough to cause a leak or anything, and are very tight on the starter solenoid on the drivers side, (newer style small starter). I didn't read the directions that said they don't fit until after they were in. I would call and ask them if it is a torsion bar clearance problem though. My car doesn't have T-bars, so I can't comment on how they would clear on those. Hope this helps.

No one? What other 2" headers are used with the 383 in an A body?

Word on the street is the Hedman B body headers will fit. BigBlockDart.com says they will. I have an old NOS set so I hope they do. Mine are 1 7/8" though, but they say the 2" will fit as well with minor dimples. Beats the snot outta 800 buck headers.

I'm also curious about fitment... I'm looking to fit TTI 2" primary headers in my duster w/ a 383 and Eddy heads.

Wow, good info. B Body hedman headers . . . excellent option for me. Thanks a bunch. Rog

Trouble is, Hedman has a few "standard" headers. They have 78030, is this the one they are using? If not, anyone have their stock number? Thanks, Rog

Still wanting to see a Duster with a 383. I cant believe with the amount of 383's out there and the amount of Dusters and Demons out there, nobody has photos with 2" headers or any headers that are non fenderwell: TTi, Schumacher, Headman B body.

By the way I read the BBDart post on the headman b Body headers, it seem like a way to save money for good flowing headers, but comes with a good deal of work to make them fit.

.........but comes with a good deal of work to make them fit.

If you call a few small dents work, maybe you should use manifolds. Are you sure you were looking at the right article? There's more than one. some people have dropped the Hedmans right in with NO mods whatsoever.

I read two BBD threads that said with the headmans be prepared to take the engine in and out 4-6 times to make them fit and it would take at least a day.

How far into Florida are you? I might would come lay under the beeotch and help you cuss at it.

My Barracuda pics are the same engine bay as your Duster, assuming you have manual steering. Like I said, ask TTI if torsion bar clearance is the issue. If it isn't, a monkey could put them in. The FIRST time going in, (the primered engine bay shots), the passenger side took 3 minutes, the drivers side, 8 minutes. Note mine went in OVER the factory exhaust studs.... Again, as I said before, I have no T-bars, so that might make all the difference. Maybe not.

Just read this thread, and its for a RB block.

Yup, that's what i was tryin to tell him. In those tech pages, it shows clearly only minor dings to get them to fit with a B engine. Got good pics too.

No the thread was for a B block, but the topic came up after the OP about the RB, but I think I can do it.

I live about an hour north of Orlando.

Thanks guys for the help though. When I called TTi they would not garuntee the fit with Torsoin bars for the 2" with the heads I have, but said it might work.

i have seen cars that the hedmans just about slid right in, and others where half of the tubes needed some sort of rework. cut and weld, not just dings. hard to imagine. i put the 2" ttis on a 400 in a dart, i had to rework 2 tubes, but it wasnt a huge deal. another guy at the same time put them in his car they fit his car fine, yet mine i had to move the 1 tube for mini starter clearance. no way was it going to work. i bought mine 2nd hand so they could have been an older design.

TTI said the headers would more than likely bolt up but I would have problems because the pitman arm would hit. They also said the low deck block might require a different starter or mini starter to make it work. the pipe may be too tight arount the starter due to the block being slighlty narrower than a 440..

-
Back