383 / 426 build questions

-

femtnmax

Reaction score
This is for a street driven build.
Is the 440source kit good quality, or would you recommend someone else? Is the crank machine work accurate, or does it need to be redone? Is the balance job accurate or just oem tolerances? I assume these kits internal balance?

Cylinder heads: I will use factory rocker shaft geometry, but I could fit a cam to 1.6 ratio. Are the cast iron cylinder heads cheaper/better quality than aluminum, though I’d prefer aluminum heads for the weight saving. Do you recommend 440source, Indy, or Edelbrock? Which ever is bought, I am used to taking them apart to recheck everything.

Exhaust manifolds. I was going to use the late 60’s factory HP cast iron types. Are used ones ok assuming no cracks, or are they all so-so after all these years of use? I believe repro castings are available, are they any good? Does someone make the flanges that bolt to the manifold outlets, so I can build my own system from there?
Thanks.

What power output are you expecting? Does the car have power brakes? What transmission type and rear gearing? What's the budget?

What power output are you expecting? Does the car have power brakes? What transmission type and rear gearing? What's the budget?
For power output not trying to reach the moon, just reasonable performance from a decent combination of parts.
Pump gas and street driven, won't see the track. Car has power brakes, and altitude is 5000-6000 feet which is really dropping engine vacuum so cam choice on my current build has been a little fussy to keep the vacuum up. Trany is 4 speed with 3.23 highway gears. For budget, I don't need to reach for every ounce of tq and hp; I'll put it together on paper and see how the cost turns out.
I guess the 440source AL heads are a little cheaper than the Edel heads, but there has been some retainer/keeper issues that appear to be worked out?? I guess the cheap keepers makes me wonder about the quality of the valves, etc. Have Edel rpm heads on my current small block, have not had any issues with 3000+ miles. I did take them apart and check valve guide clearance and touch up valve/seat contact.

Thanks.

This is for a street driven build.
Is the 440source kit good quality, or would you recommend someone else? Is the crank machine work accurate, or does it need to be redone? Is the balance job accurate or just oem tolerances? I assume these kits internal balance?

Cylinder heads: I will use factory rocker shaft geometry, but I could fit a cam to 1.6 ratio. Are the cast iron cylinder heads cheaper/better quality than aluminum, though I’d prefer aluminum heads for the weight saving. Do you recommend 440source, Indy, or Edelbrock? Which ever is bought, I am used to taking them apart to recheck everything.

Exhaust manifolds. I was going to use the late 60’s factory HP cast iron types. Are used ones ok assuming no cracks, or are they all so-so after all these years of use? I believe repro castings are available, are they any good? Does someone make the flanges that bolt to the manifold outlets, so I can build my own system from there?
Thanks.

I used the 440 Source stroker kit for my 500 ci engine. I ordered it unbalanced and had my machinist balance it. The crank was fine, most find them okay some have to have them turned. Most find the balance satisfactory and others have them rebalanced. I had the pin fit in my rods redone.

Cast iron heads are better cost wise only if you can do the work yourself. If you can afford the extra dollars, the Edelbrock heads, rather than the Stealth, are a better starting place for quality and flow.

-
Back