383 Block/Crank/Heads

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Someone nearby has placed an advertisement selling the above mentioned block, crank, and heads. My question for you guys is the following. What's the potential of the 383? I currently have a 74 Dodge Dart with a 318 but was looking for a future upgrade to a 360. Would it be the same type of mods in order to go with the 383? Or is their something I would need additionally?

Someone nearby has placed an advertisement selling the above mentioned block, crank, and heads. My question for you guys is the following. What's the potential of the 383? I currently have a 74 Dodge Dart with a 318 but was looking for a future upgrade to a 360. Would it be the same type of mods in order to go with the 383? Or is their something I would need additionally?
318/360 are LA small block engines with a lot of interchangable parts. 383 is a B motor big block. almost nothing swaps over from the LA/sb.

You'll be looking at more expensive headers, possible swap kit unless you can weld, shortened drive shaft and for a real powerful engine, a rear end up grade to a 8-3/4 min and at there prices, a DANA 60 for a few bucks more would be a great idea @ around $2000.

It would out perform the 360 on a similar parts build. It's a short stroke engine and it like to rev.

the things that will cost a considerable amount more are headers/manifolds=$600-$700, a new BB 727 tranny, 8 3/4 to handle it.

It's a horsepower monster with 4.25/3.38 bore/stroke and 188 rod ratio, great motor for an a body.

I would keep it simple, put a 4" crank in the 318 you already have to make it a 390" beef up the 904 you already have, you would still have to get a better rear end, you can use a cheap set of headers even a stock iron 4 bbl intake with a good t-quad paint it stock run low 12's hight 11's and tell everyone its a 318. Just a thought!!!!

LOL @ El Demon. You do have a good point there.

I don't know if the cost justifies the benefits for what I'm building guys. I'm looking at a nice, smooth performing street machine that would posses some major torque for the road. The 383 would do the job, but it sounds more like something for the strip guys or enthusiasts with some more cash then what I've got. I think the 360 is my best bet for both budget and simplicity.

I would keep it simple, put a 4" crank in the 318 you already have to make it a 390" beef up the 904 you already have, you would still have to get a better rear end, you can use a cheap set of headers even a stock iron 4 bbl intake with a good t-quad paint it stock run low 12's hight 11's and tell everyone its a 318. Just a thought!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmm you make some good points man. Shoot I don't even care about the 12's, I just want a strong motor for a street machine. You know, something that has the ability to smoke the imports from time to time but tame for the street.

Yes, it would be. It's a simple bolt in and a B&M flex plate to make a easy chore of balance issue's go away when bolting it to the 904 and the OE converter.

The 383 would need what crazy said.

Expensive headers
swap mount kit @ $160
a tranny. Even a rebuild is a major cost. Might as well spend some more for a street stripper trans @ a G.
8-3/4 rears aren't cheap ethier never mind a new center section with some ratio. That'll cost ya a grand to the door.

It's a wonderful engine in a A body and will work real well for a nice street monster. Even if mildly built.

-
Back