383 builds for drag car

-
I have used Don’s formula for Old Reliable before. I stumbled on Don’s book years ago when I was trying to get a Weiand six pack tunnel ram to work on my 63 Fury. Talk about a guy determined to make something work. I never did get the old 6 pack tunnel ram to work better than my TM7 but Don did with a ton of mods.
I tell you, that guy really had it figured out. And it's basically what I said way back in post #12. Old school. That's what these engines are and they still respond well to those type mods. All too often, people try to overthink and complicate things when the answer is right in front of them.

It’s not brain surgery. Even less so since MoPar out out there engines book and gave a list, in time zones, on how fast you want to run is as simple as following the parts list.

I have to LMFAO when people complain about the book and the unavailable parts that are listed in it. If they read the “F’in book” in the first place, they wouldn’t be complaining. Unless there mentally short!

Someone whined the other day, but I can’t get “There intake and cams….” Substitute the M1 for a Victor, sub out their cam for an equivalent cam as close as a match as possible, sub out the Stage V/VI head for an Edelbrock or trick flow. OMLooooooooooord!

Then there is the sticky up top the racers forum. How did you get your car into the *** zone, please list everything and presto! Most members list darn near everything (and some did list everything - THANK YOU!) on getting there car into that time zone.

MoPar made it easy, FABO is making is easy!

The MP book’s basically tell you do a good rebuild for starters and by the way…. Here’s some tips and tricks that worked for us and our racers in the field today!

Boom baby! Mic drop!

I have to LMFAO when people complain about the book
As far as I'm concerned, anyone looking to build a Hipo street or strip car should have the Mopar engine and chassis books or at least one of Finkbinder's many engine books.

Andy’s books are very good.

Speaking of which, he hasn’t been around in a while.
Posting wise at least.
You can catch him on his YouTube channel though.

I know 383's are power houses but I've always leaned to the 400 block for B Block builds...Hawaiian punch can size pistons

Ok I’m starting to put together my game plan for the engine build for my 72 Duster. I have built 383’s and 440’s in the past and like them both. I’m leaning towards building a 383 and wanted to hear from you guys on what kind of ET’s you have been able to achieve with a similar combo.

The car has been stripped of all interior. Has fiberglass hood, fender's and deck lid. The hood and deck lid hinges and springs have been removed. Still has all the factory glass. Stock front suspension. Has super stock springs 8 3/4 with 4.56 gears and spool. Has 13.5 x 28 slicks. The guy told me it was a 10:50 car with a mild 440.

So far for the engine I have a set of stage VI heads. The heads are as cast but I plan on polishing the ports. One reason I’m leaning towards the 383 is I think the heads will flow enough for the 383 but might be a restriction on a 440. I have an idea of the engine I want to build but I would like to hear what kind of times you guys have been able to get with a 383 in a similar car and what was your engine specs.

Thanks

View attachment 1716166590

View attachment 1716166591

View attachment 1716166592
Put a 440 crank in that 383 and stroke it to a 426.

Don't you guys love it when someone gives a red x and then doesn't contribute lol, I'll just assume fat fingers

Posting wise at least.
Yep, I left him a message on YouTube...no reply though

It’s not brain surgery. Even less so since MoPar out out there engines book and gave a list, in time zones, on how fast you want to run is as simple as following the parts list.

I have to LMFAO when people complain about the book and the unavailable parts that are listed in it. If they read the “F’in book” in the first place, they wouldn’t be complaining. Unless there mentally short!

Someone whined the other day, but I can’t get “There intake and cams….” Substitute the M1 for a Victor, sub out their cam for an equivalent cam as close as a match as possible, sub out the Stage V/VI head for an Edelbrock or trick flow. OMLooooooooooord!

Then there is the sticky up top the racers forum. How did you get your car into the *** zone, please list everything and presto! Most members list darn near everything (and some did list everything - THANK YOU!) on getting there car into that time zone.

MoPar made it easy, FABO is making is easy!

The MP book’s basically tell you do a good rebuild for starters and by the way…. Here’s some tips and tricks that worked for us and our racers in the field today!

Boom baby! Mic drop!
I know the thread you're talking about. The op is very strict if you disobey the rules and not give every detail. Oh wait that's you. Lol !
Those post you 10s 9s are very helpful for getting a baseline idea for how to move forward.
Great idea @rumblefish360

I tell you, that guy really had it figured out. And it's basically what I said way back in post #12. Old school. That's what these engines are and they still respond well to those type mods. All too often, people try to overthink and complicate things when the answer is right in front of them.
But if you're stubborn enough you might end up with 2 engines worth of parts lol

I know the thread you're talking about. The op is very strict if you disobey the rules and not give every detail. Oh wait that's you. Lol !
LMAO! Yep, it’s OK, call me a Dick! I don’t care unlike some other soft skinned crybabies. Is just text on the internet and unless you’re super clear on how it’s supposed to be read, I just consider it an easy tone in a regular conversation. Like the way old friends rank on each other without any feeling or I’ll will and intentions behind the words.

Those that have met me often tell me they think I’m a big dick. I laugh and ask, “And now?”
Suffice to say I have broken bread at there dinner table with them many times, have the good grace of them lending me tools, walk into there garage when there not home, trade parts, work together on there cars, to racing and other fun stuff.

If ya hate me after you meet me, that’s OK too.
Those post you 10s 9s are very helpful for getting a baseline idea for how to move forward.
Great idea @rumblefish360
It’s all started when someone was asking for 12 second help, then someone else with 10 second help, then I said I have to make these stickies! This is golden information here.

I LOVE IT when a poster enters their ride in with all the crazy little details. Knowledge is power and copying someone else’s stuff is flattering them.

If it helps you achieve your goal, HOMERUN!!!!

Posting wise at least.
What's the name of his channel?

LMAO! Yep, it’s OK, call me a Dick! I don’t care unlike some other soft skinned crybabies. Is just text on the internet and unless you’re super clear on how it’s supposed to be read, I just consider it an easy tone in a regular conversation. Like the way old friends rank on each other without any feeling or I’ll will and intentions behind the words.

Those that have met me often tell me they think I’m a big dick. I laugh and ask, “And now?”
Suffice to say I have broken bread at there dinner table with them many times, have the good grace of them lending me tools, walk into there garage when there not home, trade parts, work together on there cars, to racing and other fun stuff.

It’s all started when someone was asking for 12 second help, then someone else with 10 second help, then I said I have to make these stickies! This is golden information here.

I LOVE IT when a poster enters their ride in with all the crazy little details. Knowledge is power and copying someone else’s stuff is flattering them.

Yeah, I wasn't calling you a dick but I do laugh at some of the stuff you say ..not at you but just that it's cut and dry because too many people can't or get offended. I like to imagine the guy who's reading it .
I better be posting in the 10s next season.
It will be an honor ( mostly because I'll finally be done building my car, for me, how I want it and did it myself with a little help here and there)

I enjoy your YouTube channel. We have batted heads here but no hard feelings I hope. Just keep doing what you do. You have forgotten more than most of us have learned and I respect that you are willing to share your knowledge.

I enjoy your YouTube channel. We have batted heads here but no hard feelings I hope. Just keep doing what you do. You have forgotten more than most of us have learned and I respect that you are willing to share your knowledge.
What's the YouTube channel

1700343858123.png

What's the name of his channel?
Well! It’s;
https://m.youtube.com/@andyfinkbeiner
Of course!!!! LOL
Yeah, I wasn't calling you a dick but I do laugh at some of the stuff you say ..not at you but just that it's cut and dry because too many people can't or get offended. I like to imagine the guy who's reading it .
I better be posting in the 10s next season.
It will be an honor ( mostly because I'll finally be done building my car, for me, how I want it and did it myself with a little help here and there)
No worries ether way. I just keep smiling at 99% of it all.
I enjoy your YouTube channel.
THANKS!
We have batted heads here but no hard feelings
None at all. Life’s too short to stay mad more than a day. That’s even a bit long for me but it happens.
I hope. Just keep doing what you do.
I certainly plan on it!
You have forgotten more than most of us have learned and I respect that you are willing to share your knowledge.
Thanks again. Forgot more than most know? IDK about that but I’m certainly happy to share and help. Very much so.
Me? My channel? Well, before you go there, make sure you have a hard bag…. Just incase! Ya never know! I’m working on a different camera for a better quality and editing abilities. As of now, I’m using the IPhone. Biggest problem, no pause button. That would be a big help.

But my YouTube channel is below in the sig.
Stop on in and enjoy. It’ll be a little bit before it gets going into the good stuff. Garage on the way. End of the month is the schedule for it to go up. Then I get to move all my crap in there and travel to a few states to get my other crap.

Oh! I can also be found guest hosting at my brother from another mothers channel- https://m.youtube.com/@servediocylinderheads

Search for the MoPar stuff other than the “Mission Impossible 318 head” threads. Charlie is doing work for David Vizard for the “Mission Impossible 318” thing. We flow test some of my stuff and he shows what he’s doing to my face W2 heads.

We just this morning sonic checked my last possible 340 block for use. It failed for its intent. Then I Cooked breakfast, sat and watched engine masters while I stuffed him in the expensive massage chair. This thing helps me in a HUGE way when I twist up my back. HUGE I tell ya, HUGE!

72140749198__635945E2-101D-4408-8285-F52B55999286.jpeg

72140748548__A10AC5DB-52E4-4402-94EC-3BB9BEA0B1C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Well! It’s;
https://m.youtube.com/@andyfinkbeiner
Of course!!!! LOL

No worries ether way. I just keep smiling at 99% of it all.

THANKS!

None at all. Life’s too short to stay mad more than a day. That’s even a bit long for me but it happens.

I certainly plan on it!

Thanks again. Forgot more than most know? IDK about that but I’m certainly happy to share and help. Very much so.

Me? My channel? Well, before you go there, make sure you have a hard bag…. Just incase! Ya never know! I’m working on a different camera for a better quality and editing abilities. As of now, I’m using the IPhone. Biggest problem, no pause button. That would be a big help.

But my YouTube channel is below in the sig.
Stop on in and enjoy. It’ll be a little bit before it gets going into the good stuff. Garage on the way. End of the month is the schedule for it to go up. Then I get to move all my crap in there and travel to a few states to get my other crap.

Oh! I can also be found guest hosting at my brother from another mothers channel- https://m.youtube.com/@servediocylinderheads

Search for the MoPar stuff other than the “Mission Impossible 318 head” threads. Charlie is doing work for David Vizard for the “Mission Impossible 318” thing. We flow test some of my stuff and he shows what he’s doing to my face W2 heads.

We just this morning sonic checked my last possible 340 block for use. It failed for its intent. Then I Cooked breakfast, sat and watched engine masters while I stuffed him in the expensive massage chair. This thing helps me in a HUGE way when I twist up my back. HUGE I tell ya, HUGE!

View attachment 1716168147

View attachment 1716168148
I found your channel, I subscribed and said hi, that's good content.
I see you're friends with servedo, that's good content too.
I need to start making vids for my channel.
I hope the garage build goes well.

I found your channel, I subscribed and said hi, that's good content.
I see you're friends with servedo, that's good content too.
I need to start making vids for my channel.
I hope the garage build goes well.
Thanks! It’s funny. A fellow FABO’er (George Jets) introduced us at a local Florida car show. I recognize he doesn’t have an accent…. Which, of course means, he’s from where I was, Long Island New York.
Laughing our asses off at this, we discorver we lived within 30 minutes of each other. When he tells me his last name, I’m like…. “I know you from somewhere, it’ll take me a few days to remember. And when I did, I heard of his name some 30 years ago when the Chevy guys were talking. He was floored and asked about it. We laughed our asses off even harder when George Jets said, you don’t recognize his name from the mission impossible thread. I said what mission impossible thread?!?!

Content will pick up in a few months, Lord God willing of course!

If something pops on the channel you wanna see or see done, let me know. I’ll see about trying to squeeze it in if possible.

When I originally raced my 69 Charger, it had a 383 in it. Without ever pulling the short block, it went 13.0's at about 104 mph. 3200 stall, 4.10 gear, about 4400#'s at the starting line. Recipe was simple: about 9.0 CR, iron heads with minor bowl blending, DP4B intake, 750 vac Holley, and the 284/.484 purple cam.

Now configure that in your car. Probably 1 sec+ for dropping 1000#'s or more, another at least 0.5 sec for your heads, poke in a bigger SFT cam, and add some CR. I see you easily in the 10's.

So I have been presented with some options and I respect everyone's opinions on here.

Option 1: I found a guy on FB, about 3 hours away from me, that has a rotating assembly for a 383, forged crank, old TRW domed pistons, stock rods all balanced and a .030 block that is ready to be assembled. Price is under a grand. This is surely in my budget at this time.

Option 2: A member on here and lives close by me has offered parts to build a 451 stroker with a rotating assembly for a little more money that the 383. He has also offered to help with his experience and says he has had his car in the sub 9's. Wow. This is in my budget but would required me to have my 400 block machined and ready.

Option 3: I found a guy on FB that is close to me that has a 440 in his 70 Duster that is now getting in the sub 10's so he is going to rebuild his chassis this winter to meet the rules and has decided to go to a 500+ stroker to get deeper into the 9's or faster. He is running Indy heads and intake and he is keeping that but he said he would be willing to sell me his entire long block that has all forged internals, H-beam rods, icon pistons, roller cam. He says the engine has one season on it and has no issues. Basically I would have to use my stage 6 heads, intake, carb, oiling system and would be ready to go. Price is around 3K which is not in my budget now but I could save my pennies as he is not in a big hurry to sell as the engine is still in the car.

The impulsive me wants to go with option 1 or 2 and start building but I think option 3 is a good deal and is already a proven 10 second combo. I know my heads are not as good as Indy heads but I think I would be happy with it.

-
Back