383 Bus engine--- what???

-

greenhornet

Reaction score
I'll try and down load the pics, I'm not to good at this computor stuff...

002.jpg

From that angle it almost looks like it has magnum manifolds on it.

I fired it up awhile back, first time it was started in bout 20 years, was an old hippy bus back in the 70's, ever who did the conversion knew what thay were doing, got the intake and valve covers off today and "OH HELL YEAH"--- someone has rebuilt it, almost no build up in the engine... This is the freebe 383 I talked about on earlier posts...

007.jpg

congrats thats gonna be nice

It's going in my 66-valiant, I gotta take the heads off and some more weight before I try and get it out with my cherry picker in that soft dirt, I'm hoping to see .030 on the pistons and .010-.010 on the main and rod bearings when I freshen it up...

Sometimes You Get Lucky And Win! Congrats...

This one came from a bus also. (It looked a little different when it came out of the bus).You never know where you'll find a good engine.

DSC02611.JPG

This one came from a bus also. (It looked a little different when it came out of the bus).You never know where you'll find a good engine.

Damn---- that's awesome, I've seen some old dodge logging trucks with the old hemi's in them.. I'm gonna start popping the hoods on em' all, my cousin was looking for this hood was the only reason we found it, the woman that owned it got the hot's for me then it snow balled from there, she said someone told her it was a 440 before I popped the hood, but I'll settle for a 383, wasn't to much of a disapointment...

you pop hoods on old dodge buses, trucks, some boats and find B,RB big blocks, LM,LI,LA, small blocks and i have seen a school bus with a \6 in it.

you pop hoods on old dodge buses, trucks, some boats and find B,RB big blocks, LM,LI,LA, small blocks and i have seen a school bus with a \6 in it.

There was a 413 in a motor home up at the yard awhile back, didn't know if those were worth saving or not...

There was an old '60s Dodge D600 with a 318 being used as a water truck near my house. It's amazing those engines pushed vehicles ranging so widely in weight.

There was an old '60s Dodge D600 with a 318 being used as a water truck near my house. It's amazing those engines pushed vehicles ranging so widely in weight.

That 383 2-barrel drug that bus all around the country back in the 70's, That's a dang big bus up close, I can't even make a guess at what it would weigh, rear end looks like a full size mack dump truck rear...

383 Mopar bus engine update:

Got a lot more taken off it this evening, pistons look stock, no ridge in top of the cylinders, still had antifreeze in the block, I got a bottle full of it to test, 99.999999% sure the block didn't freeze and crack after setting for all those years, looks like it's going to be a prime 383 to build... No mopar happy dance today, my azz is draggin'........... Oh, I fixed a gal pals jeep before I started on the 383....

-
Back