383 in 68 Dodge Dart? new build

-
Who does that yellow 71 Dart belong to? I want to know the tire and wheel specs.

I may be going about this all wrong but I will put in my two cents just the same. I just acquired a 71 Dart with a 383 under the hood. I got this car in a package deal of four cars for a total of $2500.00. The other three are a 70 Duster 340 4 spd. Said to be matching numbers but stuffed in the nose (rebuildable), a 74 Duster /6, and a 66 Dart 318 4 door. The Dart was a slant six car originally and I'm not sure yet what the previous owner did to make the conversion other than he put in a big block K-frame. It still has the small bolt wheels and drum brakes all around. The car sits level as it is. The motor has a slight knock in the bottom end. I am planning on a stock rebuild of the 383 and the transmission. I plan on putting in a set of flow masters and also disc brakes on the front. I'm not going to race it, so other than an occasional burn out it should make a nice cruiser with no other mods. I am hoping that the rear end will tolerate that. I'm going to spend my money on restoring the interior and body which are acceptable for a driver but not a cruiser. Gregg

This sounds like a fun project. About the rear end, if itis the small 7-1/4, Upgrade it to at leastthe 8-1/4, 8-3/4 prefur'd. There not to hard to find. Also, go for the disc all around.
Your 383 can knock out some good power with a stock (HP) rebuild and headers. Like said above, "Without breathing hard"

To the OP.

A stock big block given the "Lightening" treatment of aluminum where ever it can be attached will drop that weight down to small block weight or slightly less.

Don't letthe price tag scare you away from doing it. Just do it a little at a time.

-
Back