383 in 71 Dodge Demon Carb issue?

-

Fishinboy44

Reaction score
Got a 71 Dodge Demon that has a 383 in it with a 383 torker intake with a 600CFM holley on it. It has a slight miss but im thinking the carb. Is it too small for it and I need bigger? Would this make the motor miss? Let me know what you think.

Didn't most 383 engines come from the factory with a two barrel or a 500 cfm carter? If anything you have too much carb unless you have made other performance alterations.

600's fine for a mild 383. Is it a single cylinder? Does it come and go away? happen consistanty? What ignition system do you have? Did this do it from day one or did it start recently on it's own?

The idle seems fine on it. As soon as you give it more gas it starts missing. Like I said the intake is a torker 383 and I read online that its an intake for higher rpms(2500-6000) and others have said to have at least 750. I believe it has a mild cam in it and it still has the single point ignition. Which I want to get rid of and put the pertronix sytem on it. What else could it be? It has new plugs, wires, cap and distibuter.

Didn't most 383 engines come from the factory with a two barrel or a 500 cfm carter? If anything you have too much carb unless you have made other performance alterations.
Yes a 2bbl. was stock for many years. 4bbl's came with a small Carter @ 600 (AFB) or 630's (AVS)

The idle seems fine on it. As soon as you give it more gas it starts missing. Like I said the intake is a torker 383 and I read online that its an intake for higher rpms(2500-6000) and others have said to have at least 750. I believe it has a mild cam in it and it still has the single point ignition. Which I want to get rid of and put the pertronix sytem on it. What else could it be? It has new plugs, wires, cap and distibuter.

Sounds lean if it starts missing underload.

Unless one of the cylinders is down on compresion. AKA Plum worn out.

I opened up the jets on the side of the carb. and it seems that the missing has gone away. Still need to get rid of the points. That will help greatly. Hopefully it goes well.

-
Back