383 in a 69 Dart 4-speed

-

UPSTATE340

Reaction score
Just picked up a real nice 383, or what I hope is a nice 383 anyway. We'll find out soon I guess. I want to mate it to the A-833. I have a few questions for all the brains at this place.

What bellhousing do I need?

Will my driveshaft work with this?

It has an oil pan, but not from an A-Body, i know the Abodies had an identation in them to clear the steering linkage. Where can I find one of these things for a big block?

It doesn't have a carb, is there a suggested carb? I was told the 383 has a mild cam in it.

I have a spool mount kframe out of a 73 or 74, a 1969 340 kframe, and a 1969 383 kframe...Which would be the most logical to use with front discs? I have all the hardware (new) for the spool mount but I'm not sure how I would mount a big block on there.

Anything else major I'm overlooking?

If anyone has bb bellhousing, or motor mounts I might need for sale, let me know. I'm looking at ebay for stuff right now, but I rather put my money back into this site.

I'm gettin really excited, maybe one of my darts will see the road sooner than I thought if this engine is as good as reported.

Thanks!

I wish I could help UPSTATE340 :-D But I would like to say that the 383 is my favorite big block revving engine :cheers: I am sure a tec will jump in and help you on your build, Yes a 383 is the bee's nee's to me =P~

Use the spool mount K if it's a small block. Go to www.bigblockdart.com and check out the tech pages on how to build your own Direct Connection k-member (D.C.).

The bell will depend on which trans you have (different bearing retainer sizes).

Oil pans are out there.

Your driveshaft will work IF you already have the four speed in the car (or if it's for the four speed).

Just picked up a real nice 383, or what I hope is a nice 383 anyway. We'll find out soon I guess. I want to mate it to the A-833. I have a few questions for all the brains at this place.

What bellhousing do I need?

Will my driveshaft work with this?

It has an oil pan, but not from an A-Body, i know the Abodies had an identation in them to clear the steering linkage. Where can I find one of these things for a big block?

It doesn't have a carb, is there a suggested carb? I was told the 383 has a mild cam in it.

I have a spool mount kframe out of a 73 or 74, a 1969 340 kframe, and a 1969 383 kframe...Which would be the most logical to use with front discs? I have all the hardware (new) for the spool mount but I'm not sure how I would mount a big block on there.

Anything else major I'm overlooking?

If anyone has bb bellhousing, or motor mounts I might need for sale, let me know. I'm looking at ebay for stuff right now, but I rather put my money back into this site.

I'm gettin really excited, maybe one of my darts will see the road sooner than I thought if this engine is as good as reported.

Thanks!

OK I'll try to help a little(I have a low deck A-body/4 spd)
I think I just used a regular BB bell. The z-shaft support is offset.Brewer's or Passon should be able to hook you up. You need an A-body 833,that what you have?
Not sure on the driveshaft,I had mine built for my car.
Oil pans, I believe there is 2 that work,mine is a 187 pan. I think they are C-body pans. Try 440 source.
Carbs. I had a 3310(750cfm vac. sec)on my 383,ran great! Using a 800 DP on my 470"
Mounts. Schumacher should be able to hook you up to use any of the k-frames you mentioned. I have the factory BB frame w/the disc conversion(73-76 brakes) Think about sway bar mounts for a street car!
As for the rest...Exhaust can be a pain. Schumacher headers appear to fit well,TTI's will work. Neither are cheap. I use CPPa's(before TTI started to make them) They fit but are a PITA!!
Think cooling system. Good rad and fan package are a must.
Check out www.bigblockdart.com Lots of good info in the tech archieves!
Last of all... Have fun with your toy! BB A-bodies are a hoot to drive!!!

Wow. Thanks for the quick replies. Lots of good information here. Any reason to go with the Spool Mount? (it is a small block one) I dont really know the difference that well. The bigblock frame I have has a factory sway bar (its from a gts 383), but the lower control arm is bent. Can I get new bb control arms, or are they same as the 340's?

I do have the correct disc brake conversion from a 74, and the transmission is an original A-Body A833.

Nothing special about 383 LCAs. They are the same as any other with sway bar tabs (which can be swapped or made). Like I said build your own Direct Connection k-member and sell the 383 k-member to somebody for a resto. Use the sway bar from the 383 car, though.

Thanks. I guess I at least have some options and Glad to hear the LCAs are essentially the same. The direct connection k-member looks to be a good route. I'll probably not get to this until early next month, but I like to be prepared. Once I get it started I'll let you know how it worked out.

If anyone has a bigblock bellhousing or an oilpan that would work please still let me know

Thanks. I guess I at least have some options and Glad to hear the LCAs are essentially the same. The direct connection k-member looks to be a good route. I'll probably not get to this until early next month, but I like to be prepared. Once I get it started I'll let you know how it worked out.

If anyone has a bigblock bellhousing or an oilpan that would work please still let me know

The big block alum bell that ends in 513 will work you'll just need to change the bearing retainer on your a body trans to that from a 68-68 big block trans , readily available part .

The 187 pan should be easy to find .

I obviously know nothing about these big block setups, but I'm trying my best to learn. So, Please continue to help, I really appreciate it.

How do I go about changing the bearing retainer? Is it as simple as it looks? Pull the old and plug in the new?

Do you plan on racing your car? You will need an SFI certified bellhousing and flywheel/clutch if you plan on going 11.49 or faster in the 1/4 mile.
I used a Lakewood bellhousing and a centerforce dual friction clutch with a hayes flywheel, works great.

Even if your not planning on racing an aftermarket bellhousing is a good idea.

No desire to race the car really, just trying to put the car back to stock as much as possible. Minus the fact that I need the car to be a 4 speed.

How much do aftermarket bellhousing cost if not planning on racing? What would be a recommended way to go?

I obviously know nothing about these big block setups, but I'm trying my best to learn. So, Please continue to help, I really appreciate it.

How do I go about changing the bearing retainer? Is it as simple as it looks? Pull the old and plug in the new?

yes it's that easy .

-
Back